Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simple electricity problem...

Posted by chuttney1 
Simple electricity problem...
April 14, 2014 08:32PM
I have minimal knowledge on electricity besides V x Amps= Watts. So I got a BeagleBone Black a few days ago and realized I needed a 5V coax power plug to get the full benefits of the board. Minimal power requirements are 5V 1.2 Amps or 6 watts. Beaglebone says you should use a 5V 2Amp power supply to run the board. Question is can I use 5V 3Amp power supply without frying the board? I know I should just get 5V 2Amp power supply, but the amperage issue bugs me as with whether its basically it is how much power the plug can supply or straight up, max power, 15 watts will fry the board once plug is in the wall socket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2014 08:33PM by chuttney1.
Re: Simple electricity problem...
April 14, 2014 08:55PM
The current rating is just the maximum it can supply. The board will only draw what it needs.
April 14, 2014 11:10PM
just make sure the supply is fairly noise free, for example i would not use a cellphone wall charger, i would use a pda power supply that outputs 5volts.
April 15, 2014 04:05AM
What is important here is that your power suplly is rated 5V as anything higher than that could fry your board. The amperage rating 1,2A is a minimum rating so your supply needs to be able to supply anything greater than that.
So your supply MUST be a 5v rated suply but the amperage could be anything from 2-whatever. (10W-?)
I would prefer a switch mode supply but it does not really matter as long as it is regulated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login