Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm starting a revolution. You in?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
I'm starting a revolution. You in?
April 20, 2014 10:34PM
The idea behind the J-Head Lite V1 was to lower the "barrier to entry," in terms of how much money it takes to build your own 3D printer. I consider it a success in terms of printing with ABS. Not so much with PLA.

I'd heard of many people wanting a version that uses a 3mm PTFE liner. I decided to meet them halfway with a version that uses a 2.54mm PIFE liner.

You might say, "Hey. It's half a milimeter. What difference does it make?" In terms of volume, even half a milimeter makes a difference. Using this design, I'm able to retain 52% of the stainless steal rod VS. 42% @ a 3.2mm bore and 24% @ 4.2mm.

The mass of the rod is critical, because it determines how much heat can effect the PTFE holder. Imagine holding your hand over a pirce of tin foil and lighting a match underneath it.. Then imagine lighting a match under a piece of solid metal.

Whereas the Lite V1 proved that teflon can be used in a hot end, the V2 will be the first commercially viable hot end that people can actually afford. We're pushing the envelope of design and thermodynamics to the brink, and we're gonna bring 3D printing to the people.
Re: I'm starting a revolution. You in?
April 20, 2014 10:52PM
you sound just like someone..........
April 21, 2014 12:33AM
Actually most people want a hot end without PTFE, so they can print hotter materials.

Once again this to me just looks like marketing bs.
We have done such and such, now we need to create a market for it as no one actually needs or wants our product.

re "2.54mm PIFE" no one make filament of that size, so I also suspect your trying to lock in those pore unfortunate fools that do buy your product to also buying the filament form yourselves as your the only suppler of that size.

Oh look, is made by "Ohioplastics" I bet they don’t make filament, no not at all.

Your busted mate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 12:38AM by Dust.
April 21, 2014 03:54AM
Dust
Actually most people want a hot end without PTFE, so they can print hotter materials.

Once again this to me just looks like marketing bs.
We have done such and such, now we need to create a market for it as no one actually needs or wants our product.

re "2.54mm PIFE" no one make filament of that size, so I also suspect your trying to lock in those pore unfortunate fools that do buy your product to also buying the filament form yourselves as your the only suppler of that size.

Oh look, is made by "Ohioplastics" I bet they don’t make filament, no not at all.

Your busted mate.

It's not true, not 'most people' want an all metal hotend.
I don't get it, why are you guys so negative?

Anyway, the opening post is very unclear, not sure if it's a troll,
April 21, 2014 06:36AM
Hot-ends a "barrier to entry"? Since when?

April 21, 2014 08:40AM

Not so much with PLA.
This is because the design does not work with ABS not cause you don't want to focus on it. I bought a J-head Lite back when was actually stated that it could print PLA without the suggestion of using oil.
April 21, 2014 10:03AM
techshop, please take a moment to read the forum rules. In particular see:

Advertising, Spam, and Self-promotion
If you run a company (selling parts or services, etc) please place a link to your company website in your signature. Not only will this publicize your company, it fosters transparency and helps to avoid the perception of a conflict of interest. We want readers to evaluate each other's comments based on their merit, not on speculations regarding some hidden agenda.

Multiple Accounts Per Individual Are Not Permitted
If you forget your password, use the password recovery tool, in which case you will be able to reset your password, given that you have access to the e-mail associated with your account. If you are still unable to login, contact the administrator.

Moderators and Administrators Have the Final Word
If you have a problem or a complaint, please direct it to the "Administration, Announcements, Policy" section. The appropriate actions will be taken. We reserve the right to ban flagrant offenders when deemed necessary, with or without prior warning.
April 21, 2014 10:11AM
very much sounds just like Ohioplastics........I have no real idea or clue what I'm doing, so any dumb little idea I have is a 'revolution'.........
April 21, 2014 01:37PM
This would make his 3rd account now. lol
April 21, 2014 02:10PM
Dirty Steve
very much sounds just like Ohioplastics........I have no real idea or clue what I'm doing, so any dumb little idea I have is a 'revolution'.........

given the wording there is a high probability it is , same here

unfortunately in this case deleting posts and banning accounts seems rather pointless as this is now what account no.30 odd ? ( i stopped counting after 7 ) he seems to have trouble grasping the idea that what he did broke the rules and was highly offensive to a lot of people and that being banned from a forum means he's no longer welcome due to behaviour, i'm sure when he has iteration 2 of his hotend ready for sale we'll know about it in the for sale section and probably on the wiki too on the jhead-lite page so the forum is of value to him ,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 02:14PM by thejollygrimreaper.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

April 21, 2014 04:30PM
I'm not sure about this forum software but on others I have seen the possibility to IP ban individuals.
VDX
April 21, 2014 04:38PM
... we can ban url's and IP's ... but it's no problem to get around this selective filter eye rolling smiley

And when banning complete IP-ranges, we exclude other users too, so not really usefull here ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 21, 2014 08:31PM
True. I forgot about the stories I've heard where it turned out to be a library computer that got banned and it caused a lot of users to get excluded. My bad sorry.
Anonymous User
April 21, 2014 09:24PM
If everyone followed the rules, there'd be no rule breakers. The Boston tea party, Rosa Parks, Gandhi. Thank god for the discontent. I'd probably make an aluminum hot end with a 4mm ptfe liner too if I didn't think outside the box. Instead I make a ptfe hot end with a 13 awg liner, because it's a fraction of the price and people want an economical choice. Anyway, this whole marketing paranoia is hilarious. There's about a dozen people on this forum, not a very good marketing platform. I post on here because it's an act of civil disobedience against censorship and my competitors (who happen to be moderators). The internet is for unrestricted free flow of raw ideas. So the law of the internet trumps the rules of the forum.

The liners 2.54 btw dust. not the plastic. dust? Dust? DUST?!
April 21, 2014 10:15PM
oh yea, it's Ohioplastics.....

and AGAIN, it has nothing to do with your cheap junk hot-end, it's that NO ONE LIKES YOU AND YOUR ATTITUDE AND NO ONE WANTS YOU HERE!

By the by, Kyle, who do you think it was that kept requesting your bannings? You got the first one all on your own with your 'Nazi' comments, but I certainly notified admins for your follow up bans.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 10:29PM by Dirty Steve.
Anonymous User
April 21, 2014 10:33PM
Said the bus driver to rosa parks.

ARTHUR: Old woman!

DENNIS: Man!

ARTHUR: Man. Sorry. What knight lives in that castle over there?

DENNIS: I'm thirty-seven.

ARTHUR: I-- what?

DENNIS: I'm thirty-seven. I'm not old.

ARTHUR: Well, I can't just call you 'Man'.

DENNIS: Well, you could say 'Dennis'.

ARTHUR: Well, I didn't know you were called 'Dennis'.

DENNIS: Well, you didn't bother to find out, did you?

ARTHUR: I did say 'sorry' about the 'old woman', but from the behind you looked--

DENNIS: What I object to is that you automatically treat me like an inferior!

ARTHUR: Well, I am King!

DENNIS: Oh, King, eh, very nice. And how d'you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers! By 'anging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever going to be any progress with the--

WOMAN: Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here. Oh! How d'you do?

ARTHUR: How do you do, good lady? I am Arthur, King of the Britons. Who's castle is that?

WOMAN: King of the who?

ARTHUR: The Britons.

WOMAN: Who are the Britons?

ARTHUR: Well, we all are. We are all Britons, and I am your king.

WOMAN: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

DENNIS: You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship: a self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--

WOMAN: Oh, there you go bringing class into it again.

DENNIS: That's what it's all about. If only people would hear of--

ARTHUR: Please! Please, good people. I am in haste. Who lives in that castle?

WOMAN: No one lives there.

ARTHUR: Then who is your lord?

WOMAN: We don't have a lord.

ARTHUR: What?

DENNIS: I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week,...

ARTHUR: Yes.

DENNIS: ...but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting...

ARTHUR: Yes, I see.

DENNIS: ...by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs,...

ARTHUR: Be quiet!

DENNIS: ...but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major--

ARTHUR: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!

WOMAN: Order, eh? Who does he think he is? Heh.

ARTHUR: I am your king!

WOMAN: Well, I didn't vote for you.

ARTHUR: You don't vote for kings.

WOMAN: Well, how did you become King, then?

ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake,...

[angels sing]

...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur.

[singing stops]

That is why I am your king!

DENNIS: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

ARTHUR: Be quiet!

DENNIS: Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

ARTHUR: Shut up!

DENNIS: I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

ARTHUR: Shut up, will you? Shut up!

DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.

ARTHUR: Shut up!

DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!

DENNIS: Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?
April 21, 2014 10:37PM
Popcorn status: Ready.
April 21, 2014 10:41PM
Kyle, if I tell you how to fix your 4 year old extruder design so that it actually can do PLA, will you GO AWAY?
Anonymous User
April 21, 2014 10:53PM
I just fixed it. I printed a big green frog with cheap Chinese PLA, and I only added $.07 to the units material cost. mcmaster-carr # 5335K18. I'm more than satisfied the problem's fixed. I refuse to barter one idea for my freedom of speech. I have principles.
April 21, 2014 10:56PM
revolutionary....2 or 3 years ago....

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 11:05PM by Dirty Steve.
April 22, 2014 12:16AM
Dear ohioplastics (also known as techshop and many other aliases):
  1. You were banned from the reprap forum for repeatedly posting irrelevant and offensive messages that detracted from the civil discourse taking place between other users of the forum.
  2. Prior to your ban you received many warnings that you would be banned if your misbehavior continued. You ignored all of them.
  3. Your ban is unanimous among the active admins and moderators.
  4. Your ban has nothing to do with commercial activity. In fact, your products still receive free advertising on the RepRap Wiki. Given your total disrespect for the other users of reprap.org, it is extremely generous of the collective users here to allow you continued use of the RepRap Wiki to advertise your products.
  5. Your ban has nothing to do with free speech. Reprap.org is not your personal megaphone. Reprap.org is under no obligation to publish your opinions or provide you with free advertising. If you want a place to freely post your opinions and ideas on the internet, why not start a blog?
If the "unrestricted free flow of raw ideas" is so important to you, then perhaps the admins should take all of the hostile emails you have sent them, and all of the insulting and offensive threads that you have started under aliases (including the ones so bad they were deleted within minutes) and then archive this material on your RepRap Wiki page. I'm sure that would be great for business.

Why do you do this? You make a special effort to disrespect and insult the people here, and yet you keep coming back to advertise your business and announce new products. How does this help you?
Anonymous User
April 22, 2014 01:23AM
1. What you call irrelevant and offensive is what I call comedic relief. Maybe you don't see it that way, but when posts got didactic and ridiculous, I'd like to post a non sequitor. I think it broke the monotony and kept things in prospective.
2. I read the warnings. I didn't and haven't posted a single cuss word or advertisement. I'd post about lathe techniques and products on mcmaster-carr. I don't own stock in mcmaster-carr and I didn't post any links, since I got the warnings.
3. At least one, "thejollygrimreaper," or more of your moderators is a direct competitor of mine, therefore, I'd say that ruling is biased.
4. I was poor yesterday, I'm poor today, and I'll be poor tomorrow. I could care less about the advertisements. You can take them down if you want. I care that people understand the philosophical difference between plastic hot ends and metal hot ends.
5. I understand you don't have an "obligation," but I make reprap components and this is the reprap forum. So I choose to post here and I am endowed with inalienable rights to do so.

Go for it. I called thejollygrimreaper a nazi. I called Joe Prusa eurotrash. I called Jeff Moe a mouth breather. I called reprap discount a Chinese sweat shop. I think it's poignant satire of public figures. I myself have been called a racist, a troll, a missagenist, and an ethnocentric nationalist, but I don't care because I have thick skin and I think it's funny.

This past Easter after I went to church, like the good German Catholic that I am, I went to patronize my sister's place of employment on the east side of Cleveland for brunch. The first thing she said to me when I walked in the door is "you're gonna love this place, it's super non-corporate." It was the most blatant hipster bar I'd ever seen. There was bad DJ playing vinyl record music way too loud for 11:00AM and more potheads than I could shake a stick at. Anyway the cheapest thing on the menu was buckwheat pancakes for $8.25.

For $8.25 I got 3 dry grainy gelatinous pancakes, no sausage, with a thimble of syrup and a dixie cup of ice water. I was so dissatisfied with the meal, that afterwords I went straight to Deny's and got a grand slam for $6. Best $6 I ever spent. I view this place as a hipster bar and reprap hot ends like buckwheat pancakes. That's it in a nutshell. If you can't accept critique, I don't know what else to tell you.
April 22, 2014 02:08AM
techshop/ohioplastics
but I make reprap components and this is the reprap forum. So I choose to post here and I am endowed with inalienable rights to do so.
You are not endowed with inalienable rights to come onto this forum and post whatever offensive nonsense it is that you think is funny.

And besides, saying you have a right to post here because you make RepRap parts is like saying you have a right to post on the General Motors website based on the fact that you make fuzzy dice.

The idea of RepRap may belong to everyone (and I think it does) but the website does not. The ability to post here is a privilege, not a right.
Anonymous User
April 22, 2014 02:32AM
I believe the direction of the reprap movement has been hijacked by people with alterior motives. There is a philosophical difference between people making metal hot ends and plastic hot ends ($$$). I believe I am returning to the roots of the reprap project by perfecting an abandoned design. I have the right to post here because I am a true believer in universal access to 3d printers. If open source means anything, it has to mean a big tent.
April 22, 2014 09:40AM
All this has nothing to do with your hot-end, stop thinking and saying that it does. For your hot end, that you falsely promote as some type of J-head to lure in noobs, to be in actual competition with any other hot end, it would have to be able to handle the same range of materials and have the same durability.

If anything you are regressing the 3d printing movement by putting a hot end out that can really only handle ABS, so you are limiting what any less-than-informed end user of your product can do with their machine.

So if I come to Akron, stand out side of Ohio Plastics offices, and talk smack to every one (if anyone) about your products and service, you wouldn't call the cops, or press charges for trespassing?

This forum is no different than a restaurant or bar....'We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone'

What does EVERY bar do with the loud, obnoxious, drunk that is causing trouble for other patrons?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2014 10:05AM by Dirty Steve.
April 22, 2014 09:57AM
greenman100
Popcorn status: Ready.
Delusions of grandeur: Active.
April 22, 2014 10:14AM
ohioplastics / techshop / etc:

These are your opinions and you are entitled to them. But you do not have a right to post them here.

I think it is great you are a true believer in universal access to 3d printers. I am a true believer in that, and so are many other people here. But that belief does not give you (or me, or anyone else) a right to post here any more than (to use the same analogy again) a true belief in automobiles gives you the right to post on the General Motors website.

What you do not seem to understand is that you got banned because you act like a huge jerk:
  1. When people criticize your products or your attitude you respond with personal attacks, insults, and bizarre, rambling rants.
  2. You repeatedly post irrelevant, offensive messages.
  3. When the admins delete these posts you make multiple new posts calling the admins "nazis".
  4. After being banned, you continue to troll the forum with offensive posts using dozens of aliases.
  5. You send hostile crazy-sounding emails to the admins.
You are not a constructive member of the community, and you are no longer welcome to post messages here (as if that needed to be said again). I hoped that by engaging you in conversation I could help you understand that your ban is a direct result of your own behavior, and not because you are being "repressed". Reprap may be a big tent, but as others point out above, if a jerk is making a mess of the place, it is perfectly reasonable for the occupants of that tent to throw them out.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.