Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer parts, how many perimeters

Posted by tmorris9 
Printer parts, how many perimeters
April 23, 2014 09:57PM
So I had a part on my printer fail (purchased printer built) luckily I was able to print a replacement before it gave way but when I examined the original I found it was printed with only 1 perimeter (.35 nozzle) and I think around 20% infill. I feel that this contributed to the failure. I printed my replacement with 6 perimeters and .25% infill.

The part that broke is where the bearing for the X axis belt was attached, this seems to me like a part that needs to be pretty strong.

So how many perimeters would you use for a part like this? (see attached photo)
Attachments:
open | download - Part-Fail.jpg (94.8 KB)
Re: Printer parts, how many perimeters
April 23, 2014 10:17PM
Yip thats someone being just a little to cheap and misly with their pasltic.

I would have gone with 3 permimeters
April 23, 2014 10:42PM
so how much of a difference would have a much higher infill made ya think.?

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
April 23, 2014 10:53PM
several things are wrong with this print. infill perimeters in my opinion should be 2 or greater. fill should be between 0.25 and 0.35 to allow for small gaps so filament can stretch across the top correctly during bridging and after bridging layers. I think that it is important to have the top look solid and this is why my top layers are 7-9, bottom layers are as low as 3, for 0.1mm infill.

the lower the layer height the greater the infill percentage should be. in fact at 0.1mm there should be less than 2mm gap between bridging walls.
April 24, 2014 12:06AM
OK, thanks guys you confirmed what I suspected.
April 24, 2014 02:28AM
I redesigned that part for the same reason - its a bit weak in that region.

May 06, 2014 11:02AM
So what about layer height? I see a lot of parts being done at 0.3mm is that stronger than doing layers at 0.1mm? I know it is faster at the lower resolution, but is are the holes and gaps accurate enough?
Just starting to get into 3d printing and trying to pick-up as much as I can before my first printer. I have yet to see somewhere that says at what resolution the parts are acceptable, and if too fine is bad.
May 06, 2014 11:47AM
ECADE
So what about layer height? I see a lot of parts being done at 0.3mm is that stronger than doing layers at 0.1mm? I know it is faster at the lower resolution, but is are the holes and gaps accurate enough?
Just starting to get into 3d printing and trying to pick-up as much as I can before my first printer. I have yet to see somewhere that says at what resolution the parts are acceptable, and if too fine is bad.

I have never printed below 0.3mm layer height, and it has always given me correct results. And what was to expected? Printing 0.3mm layers with a 0.5mm nozzle is made for each other winking smiley

Usually I make sure all small perimiters are even a little tight when the parts are meant to be put together with nuts and bolts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login