Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using 3D printing in non-hobby purposes

Posted by Ludo91 
Using 3D printing in non-hobby purposes
May 03, 2014 06:14PM
Hi!
Anyone else here using 3D printing as a part of their work?
I do use my Ormerod as my slave, in my startup we build custom electromechanical sistems and the ormerod is doing a good job in making prices lower and product develpement faster!
Re: Using 3D printing in non-hobby purposes
May 03, 2014 08:47PM
I use a Makerbot 2x every day at work for optical product development. I also use a Printrbot Jr. fairly often for my personal product development projects. Makes iterating soooooo fast and easy.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
May 03, 2014 09:09PM
I'll be using mine for production when it's done. Right now I'm addressing the moisture problem with an inline dryer. Live in Louisana, average humidity here is 75-80 %. Plan on printing mostly with Nylon and PVA so moisture will probably be a problem. The PVA will be used for creating casting molds for casting aluminum. Nylon mostly for other product parts and machine parts.
May 03, 2014 10:01PM
I've used it for creating attachments and holders for my work in medical physics. The bulk of data used in treating cancer patients with radiation comes from scanning a small ion chamber in a water tank while the beam is on. It helps to be able to quickly prototype a new chamber holder rather than buying it from the tank manufacturer. Also clips and holders for various accessories like thermometers , and hoses, and such. Nothing groundbreaking but it's helpful.
May 03, 2014 11:59PM
I build UV light ovens for curing UV resin. I use my printer (AirWolf 3D) for making custom lamp holders, board standoffs, drill templates and more. I also make and sell 3D printed parts (non printer related). Every time I think of a new tool or part it's super easy to make a few to test the waters to see if there is a market.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 12:00AM by tmorris9.
May 04, 2014 02:19AM
I use Prusa i3 to make coating equipment parts which are sold as a product. Works great.
May 04, 2014 05:26AM
I encouraged our workplace to buy an Ultimaker 2. We now use it to create mechanical supports when testing phones and development PCBs that use our chip. Also we make misc clips, holders etc similar to @bryanandaimee. We would bodge things with BluTak and anything lying around otherwise.
May 04, 2014 05:45AM
At work I use my Mendel to create things like PCB board mounts, blanking plates for electrical connectors and cases for custom test wiring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 05:45AM by ajayre.
May 04, 2014 07:18AM
At My last position unemployed at the moment I worked for a large Pro audio company used one I built myself made my life easy horns and waveguides and every little widget
May 06, 2014 10:04AM
I use it for rapid prototypes. We make fruit and vegetable sorting machines and there are alot of injection moulding parts which need to be prototyped and tested before we buy a 50K mould.
Our 2000$ leapfrog Creatr really helps with that. The ABS rapid prototypes I make, are even sturdy enough to run on a machine for a few days.

Its especially usefull when prototyping cups for transporting fruit. You can make a 19 different shapes in 2 days and just test them all on the machine with real fruit, and keep re-modeling the ones you like best.
May 08, 2014 05:41PM
I use mine to make everything I've made available in my Etsy shop. I only sell the things I personally have modeled.
May 08, 2014 10:41PM
Use mine at work quite often. Prusa I3. I manage a machining company and sometimes help customers design their products so having a low cost prototype machine is very usefull. Not to mention all the odd parts i make for our own use. Make a quick 3d model slice and click print, done.
May 09, 2014 01:02PM
Hey, I study architecture and also make my models and model people for maquettes with my printers.

This semester I designed a soap-bubble machine for an exhibition that makes paintings, it's always a combination or readily available materials, electronics, woodworking, welding/metal and 3D-printed parts.

It can be a great hobby, but besides that it's also superhandy for my work and study.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login