Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help slicing

Posted by Antslake 
Need help slicing
May 04, 2014 04:53PM
Need help getting this part sliced. I've been messing with this for 2 days. I've tried designing it in sketchup and blender. After spending a year with sketchup only to find out it's not really good for solid objects, I just spent spent a whole week trying to learn blender only to find out it's not really good for making precision parts :/ Anyway, I can make it in sketchup but when I slice it, it closes the bushing. It's a bushing with a inset. The inset snaps onto a post. It keeps closing the inset across the whole bushing. I've had this type of problem before with other bushings. I am using Cura to slice. I've tried messing with so many options I am at my wits end. I really wish I knew someone who could teach me this stuff better. I would attach the file, but it is too large.

Also when I put it in netfab to try and fix it, netfab closes the bushing too.
Thanks.
A2
Re: Need help slicing
May 04, 2014 05:19PM
To clean up your object, import your data file into AutoDesk MeshMixer.
Look into the free solid model CAD packages, e.g FreeCad.
May 04, 2014 05:46PM
Is this the )$#@#$)*@#) problem with Sketchup where it doesn't quite push holes through the outer surface at times?????
May 04, 2014 06:31PM
Antslake,
Can you not compress the file or upload it somewhere else with a link?

May 04, 2014 08:05PM
IDK, sketchup is always making holes and weird things all the time. If you don't build things perfect they won't work in a slicer, and sometimes no matter what they won't work. I spent so much time getting good at sketchup only to hit walls like this all the time. It's so time consuming to learn new programs, and sometimes the tutorials or instructions are written so poorly. I uploaded the file here, never used this service before so let me know how it works. I just spent the last 4 hours learning meshmixer.
[wikisend.com] bushing nylon6.stl

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 08:11PM by Antslake.
May 04, 2014 08:07PM
delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 08:09PM by Antslake.
May 04, 2014 11:14PM
All day to make a stupid bushing, lol still don't have it yet.

I just downloaded sketchup 2014, which I see is more geared towards makers, good. But it still doesn't make the bushing I want. Then I downloaded a plugin called CADspan, where you upload the file to them and they "fix it" for printing use. What I got back resembled a blob LOL.

Wonderful...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 11:51PM by Antslake.
May 05, 2014 12:15AM
Holy crap, I figured it out this time. It only took like 12 hours. So sketchup doesn't like making follow me tubes in small demensions. The trick is to make the piece large, then scale it down. :/

I am still curious if there is another way of making this. Gonna start the FreeCAD tutorials this week I think.
May 05, 2014 12:34AM
you might want to try a plug called cleanup,

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
A2
May 05, 2014 12:52AM
In MeshMixer there is an Analysis button, within it there is an Inspector button, and within it is an Auto-fix option.

If you're designing mechanical objects, best to use a solid modeler, it has none of the problems that a surfacing program has like Sketchup.
With a solid modeler, your model is always 100% water tight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 12:53AM by A2.
May 05, 2014 07:16AM
Antslake

[wikisend.com] bushing nylon6.stl

Can you upload the .SKP rather than the STL?

May 05, 2014 07:40AM
Antslake
Need help getting this part sliced.

I ran the part through NetFabb and then loaded it into TinkerCad. You can see there are quite a few problems.

BTW, TinkerCad works great for this kind of Boolean stuff.
Attachments:
open | download - bushing.jpg (292.2 KB)
May 05, 2014 10:42AM
freecad is very good i have used a couple years now. lately i have been using designspark mechanical it was a little easier to learn. generally i can make a part faster in designspark it is more click and move with mouse. the downside it does not export to cad formats like step or iges but will export tosketchup. it will import step but unable to edit it.
A2
May 05, 2014 12:30PM
Last week MeshMixer released a new update that lets you add your own 3D printer so you can layout and arrange a print job for your specific machine.
[www.3ders.org]

Autodesk Meshmixer for 3D Printing
[www.youtube.com]
May 05, 2014 02:08PM
A2
In MeshMixer there is an Analysis button, within it there is an Inspector button, and within it is an Auto-fix option.

If you're designing mechanical objects, best to use a solid modeler, it has none of the problems that a surfacing program has like Sketchup.
With a solid modeler, your model is always 100% water tight.

I did make the part in blender and had the same exact problem. I also used the autofix button and it closed the bushing off the same way cura did.
May 05, 2014 02:29PM
I managed to successfully print the bushing. The bushing is a replacement part that is now obsolete. It goes between the seat and frame on an ATC250R 3 wheeler. I am mak8ng a few different parts and selling them on my website www.apshobbies.com The filament is Stratum3D 12-64 nylon which is excellent btw. Going to do a write up on it soon.

May 07, 2014 06:23AM
not sure if you're a student or have an academic email address (university or college etc), but if you do: go to students.autodesk.com, and you can get autodesk inventor for free smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login