Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beginner 3d printer thats low cost and usable indoors

Posted by chowdan 
Beginner 3d printer thats low cost and usable indoors
May 05, 2014 11:07AM
Hey everyone,

Been lurking around the forums for a bit and have fallen in love with the idea of building my own 3d printer. I have a few things i'd like to print for some ideas of mine. I currently am looking to build a 3d printer as a hobby and in turn it will allow a few of my prototypes to be created far easier than outsourcing and waiting for it to be shipped to me.

I have a few requirements and was hoping some fellow people could assist!

I need the printer to be able to be used in my 1bd apartment without killing me.
The plastic material has to be able to withstand higher temps(150 degrees C max) and not melt
I would like to be able to self replicate as much as possible.

On RepRaps homepage it states that reprap is the first self replicating unit, however i do not think this is true as we aren't printing out the circuitry, motors, or rods. Is anyone actually working on a fully selfreplicating printer?

Thanks everyone!
Re: Beginner 3d printer thats low cost and usable indoors
May 05, 2014 11:35AM
There are people working on it, but I wouldnt bank on it any time soon.

Pretty much any reprap should be able to reliably work in your apartment. I use one in mine almost daily.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
May 05, 2014 05:55PM
Smartrap and PLA, but don't know if that would work with your heat requirements.
May 05, 2014 10:54PM
Thanks for the response guys! I would not expect to see the temps that I specified, however I would expect to see roughly 120 for an ambient airflow at a maximum.

I mainly was concerned about fume being released during the printing processes. Is this an actual concern? I would assume not due to the fact that the melting process is not attempting to burn the plastic rather than melt it.

I think I might go with the Mendel variant though which one, not exactly sure. Plenty of research to go and I am STOKE to get into the printing process!

I'm limiting myself to a $650 build limit, which it seems to be about the average price since I've got to spend a few hundred on building my prototypes. The 3d printer will be used to print the housing that is surrounding my prototypesmiling smiley
May 05, 2014 11:04PM
I'm building my first printer too.

I got these parts from aliexpress (waiting to arrive) as you can see it's about $230 + Steel rods and nuts, washers, etc (about $70) so, you are totally in with 650 dollars

Electronics kit [www.aliexpress.com]
Bearings [www.aliexpress.com]
Stepper motors [www.aliexpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 11:05PM by machapa.
May 06, 2014 03:47AM
The fumes of PLA are harmless, while ABS fumes have a high small particle count. (Not higher than living in a big city).
If you keep it in a ventilated room, you will have no problems. Do mind that research is still being done about this.

Also you wont see 3d printable electonics that are usuable in a 3d printer. (Steppers and microchips) anytime soon. (Tough I do think it will eventually be done)
I do see printed circuitboards in the near future.
May 08, 2014 01:22PM
You can always build a chamber for it with carbon filters to filter out fumes/particles.
It will also keep out drafts and keep the build area warm so your heated bed won't
have to work as hard.

ISTAR Scope Club
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login