Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS printing temp

Posted by tmorris9 
ABS printing temp
May 12, 2014 08:16PM
I was having issues that ended up to be related to my ABS from Lulzbot melting (I know it's not called melting but don't know the proper word) at too low a temperature (200c or so) this made printing at 235c like I normally print end in nasty ragged rough prints. I was told by Lulzbot that when ABS absorbs moisture it lowers the melting point, is this true? One of the rolls was still sealed with a desiccant and printed bad right after I opened it. Now, I know there may have been a pinhole in the bag or something but then I printed fine with a roll (not from Lulzbot) that had been in the open air for more than a year and it printed fine.

So, does the ABS absorbing moisture sound plausible that it changes the melting point? And if so why does the old ABS in open air for so long not have a problem? Anything else that can cause ABS to melt at lower temperatures?
Re: ABS printing temp
May 12, 2014 10:24PM
My ABS sits out on the spool in the open of my computer room without issues.
I print at 225c with a E3D hot end and .4mm tip.
May 12, 2014 11:14PM
I would check to see if ot is PLA and not ABS. Even if it was completely saturated iI would not think it would have a 35 degree difference.

The word(s) is glass tranlation.fyi.
May 12, 2014 11:37PM
cat.farmer
I would check to see if ot is PLA and not ABS. Even if it was completely saturated iI would not think it would have a 35 degree difference.

The word(s) is glass tranlation.fyi.

I put some in ABS vapor bash (cold version) and it melted the surface so I am pretty sure it's ABS. BTW that was one of my first thoughts as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login