Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Random not-thought-out Idea - Partial Bowden

Posted by MrDoctorDIV 
Random not-thought-out Idea - Partial Bowden
May 13, 2014 11:06AM
I'll start off with saying; yes, I know it's a lot of added cost and unreasonable. But I also find H-bot unreasonable, so I'm sure this community can understand.
Alright, so what if you had two carriages stacked on top of eachother [running same signal, but mechanically separate]. The top carriage would contain the extruder, a short bowden would run between, and the bottom carriage would contain the hotend? The mechanical resonance and jerk of the weight wouldn't effect the print, but with the shorter distance, wouldn't flexible materials then be usable with the same benefits? With each carriage its own power, speed would like drop a tad, but still maintain a good high speed potential?
Something I quite literally thought about as I typed this. Sharing my thoughts is caring, right?

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Re: Random not-thought-out Idea - Partial Bowden
May 14, 2014 03:02AM
That makes sense... and should work great.
But for the price of two complete carriages, you could probably over engineer one carriage and use larger steppers (to make up for the added weight) and end up with the same or better results.
Re: Random not-thought-out Idea - Partial Bowden
May 14, 2014 03:55AM
I've been considering a similar idea for a while. Will try to implement it in a RepStrap I'm designing.

Will post rough sketch a bit later.
EDIT:
On the attacked sketch we see a simple schematic of the positions of the cold-end and hot-end - distanced of each other, connected with a bowden and a rigid rod.
As the head moves in the horizontal plane, it moves the cold-end vertically on a fixed axis. The weight of the cold-end is counterweighted. The rigid rod has a fixed length, similar to that of the bolden tube. By allowing the cold-end to move, we can minimize the tension in the filament from springiness caused by misalignment.
The downside to this setup is the greatly increased overall height of the printer, since for it to work the distance should be big enough so that the angle alfa, when the hot-end is the furthest of the cold end, is as close to 90 as possible. This downside is minimal in a Delta printer, since it is tall by default and most of the height is not usable.

Sorry for the bad drawings and hope it was understandable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2014 05:27AM by krakadu.

ShapeForger
Attachments:
open | download - 2014-05-14 11.58.31.jpg (124.7 KB)
open | download - 2014-05-14 12.12.18.jpg (195 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login