Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flexidrive is Flex3Drive Early Birds

Posted by Mutley3D 
Re: Flexidrive is Flex3Drive Early Birds
August 16, 2014 10:58AM
That's an exceptionally nice looking print.

Good work!
A2
August 16, 2014 08:55PM
@foehnsturm:

Nice print thumbs up Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Good to see the F3D in action.
August 17, 2014 10:17PM
I received my flexidrive and just mounted it to my mm 1.5 today for testing and although I can get a good first layer I am having trouble after that. Before I go much further though I want to make sure I am using the correct settings.

E-steps - 1800
E-Jerk - 5
accell - 3000
retract - 3000

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
August 18, 2014 12:49PM
foehnsturm
Adapted to an (already modified) Ulitmaker original. This is the very first print:

[www.youtube.com]

That is great to see. Very good indeed thumbs up
August 18, 2014 01:17PM
jzatopa
I received my flexidrive and just mounted it to my mm 1.5 today for testing and although I can get a good first layer I am having trouble after that. Before I go much further though I want to make sure I am using the correct settings.

E-steps - 1800
E-Jerk - 5
accell - 3000
retract - 3000

jzatopa,
Hi there great to hear its fitted, sounds like your almost there. I have MM1.5 machines and use the settings below which seem to work well over most printing speeds.

E axis is set to 1/8 stepping

M92 E1800 - 2200 - possible range, my machines are set to 2000
M201 X3000 Y3000 E10000 - i have 20k on one machine, the other with a seemingly weaker stepper is 10k.
M203 X500 Y500 E1500 - i have this e max feedrate higher - not sure if it is meant to do anything within the current set values but it appears to.
M204 S2000 T200 - adjust print accel to machine, low retract accel can be increased if motor doesnt skip on retracts.
M205 X15 E1 (or 2)

If you get a cheese grater effect on outside perimeters, try increasing e axis steps, reducing print accel (M204) depending on your print speeds. i run at 200 with these settings.
Let me know how you get along...
August 20, 2014 07:39PM
So I got it working last night. First print looks good, I will share more as I spend more time with it.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
August 23, 2014 12:52PM
Could this be used for motion as well? My idea is to use a few of these to remotely drive a ballscrew in a large format printer.

Any reason why that wouldn't work.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
August 23, 2014 08:01PM
gmh39
Could this be used for motion as well? My idea is to use a few of these to remotely drive a ballscrew in a large format printer.

Any reason why that wouldn't work.

It would be slow as shit. You may have issues with lash from the flexible cable (E axis is less sensitive to this than motion control systems), and lash will be made worse as the load increases because the necessary torque will be higher. But the main problem is it's going to be unbelievably slow.
August 27, 2014 12:05PM
printing a little faster (rev3 printhead with spring loaded arm), 150 mm/s @ 0.15mm, looks like there is still some room

[youtu.be]
August 27, 2014 01:31PM
@foehrnsturm, looks great.

Any chance you could make your hardware improvements available to download?
August 27, 2014 06:41PM
foehnsturm
printing a little faster (rev3 printhead with spring loaded arm), 150 mm/s @ 0.15mm, looks like there is still some room

[youtu.be]

Foehnsturm This is just brilliant!!! -

My limit previously was 400mms, I cant recall the settings however heres the clip [www.youtube.com] ...so there is definately headroom there.

Beware the spring loaded arm. The change in arm extension is very nice, spring might cause issues at higher speeds - its unknown territory....A Screw will be more rigid.

- Crank up that machine smiling smiley and btw how are you finding the quality of the prints done with Flex3Drive - any differences ??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2014 07:05PM by Mutley3D.
August 28, 2014 11:31AM
The parts (rev3, still under development) are now available at Youmagine.
September 10, 2014 08:16PM
Well I have had this extruder working great with 3mm and decided to try 1.75mm. The first print went fine. The second print had some problems with jamming. The filament is wrapping around the hobed bolt piece (I know it's not a bolt but I don't know what to call it). Is there a way to prevent this? If not I think that the design might need a few tweaks.

September 11, 2014 04:23PM
pyrophreek
I am working with a Kraken quad extruder on a Rostock Max, and was wondering if you had considered working with Sanjay over at E3D to adapt your design to match with the Kraken. One of the big disadvantage of the Kraken is the need for four bowden setups, but your product might be a way to overcome that.

Just got a Kraken, so I second the call for a Kraken-able version.
September 17, 2014 05:52PM
jzatopa
Well I have had this extruder working great with 3mm and decided to try 1.75mm. The first print went fine. The second print had some problems with jamming. The filament is wrapping around the hobed bolt piece (I know it's not a bolt but I don't know what to call it). Is there a way to prevent this? If not I think that the design might need a few tweaks.

Jzatopa, firstly my apologies for the delay in responding, i have had some work down in london the last week and it has been long hours and intense, whilst satisfying and exciting also smiling bouncing smiley It has however pulled me away from reprap duties somewhat so.....back to matters at hand.

I have not had any filament wraps myself but if possible could you send me an image or two, either in this thread or by PM of the fault in occurance. Ive run quite a bit of 1,75 but clearly something is not right here. Perhaps it might be down to the hob. I have used two types, one that has been made in house out of solid brass that includes the bearing journals, the other type is a 5mm shaft with a brass mk7 hobbed pulley. Possibly you have the full brass type and the hob perhaps too coarse for the thinner filament.

Let me know and ill get something done about it for you as a matter of urgency.
September 28, 2014 11:13PM
Once I put my 1.75mm hotend back on ill send you some pics.

October 13, 2014 07:55PM
Any updates? Anyone?
October 14, 2014 03:14PM
Update coming very soon! Minutes/Hours away smiling smiley
October 14, 2014 03:59PM
So what's inside this thing? I saw OozNest are selling them, the bits at either end are printed, it's just what ever is in the middle that's mystical.
October 14, 2014 05:28PM
UkIan
So what's inside this thing? I saw OozNest are selling them, the bits at either end are printed, it's just what ever is in the middle that's mystical.

Worm and wheel gears coupled to the motor by way of a flexible shaft within an appropriate assembly to facilitate its effective accurate and reliable operation. See www.mutley3d.com for more info including stl files of printable parts and instructions. Also take a look at the mutley3d channel on youtube where you will find much more info including a teardown, rebuild and adjustment videos that will remove the mystique you appear to encounter - the info and data is out there smiling smiley

Oh - did i mention a new video on there too hot smiley
October 14, 2014 05:42PM
I will read and absorb smiling smiley
October 14, 2014 06:26PM
I should point out that Flex3Drive is built around some core parts and ongoing development will revolve around these parts. What this means is, when you acquire a Flex3Drive it will be supported, improved, evolved and you will be able to follow with these developments. Ongoing work includes simplified multi filament solutions so not only are you buying the product, you are investing to the pace of development and technology associated with it. Whether you buy direct or via a third party outlet the support is the same, accessible directly through www.mutley3d.com
October 14, 2014 07:18PM
It's good to see you keep going, despite the trouble you had previously. I understand you got help from someone, also good to see others are willing to support a good idea smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Anonymous User
October 15, 2014 10:52AM
yo

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 10:10PM by Repper.
October 15, 2014 09:21PM
Hi, I ordered a Flexdrive back in August and the delivery was going to take a while. Are the kits being shipped by now?
cheers
Luis
October 15, 2014 09:24PM
ridgenj
Hi, I ordered a Flexdrive back in August and the delivery was going to take a while. Are the kits being shipped by now?
cheers
Luis

You ordered in August?!?!?! WTH

I'll PM you and get this sorted right away, if ive shipped it ill have a tracking number and we can trace back to find out whats happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 03:31AM by Mutley3D.
October 16, 2014 03:47AM
Ohmarinus
It's good to see you keep going, despite the trouble you had previously. I understand you got help from someone, also good to see others are willing to support a good idea smiling smiley

Ohmarinus

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. As your probably aware its very hard work and far more consuming than a 9-5 but yes, thanks to the support of this great community they have allowed my progress to continue. I am extremely grateful for this. Despite a recent bout of ill health that stopped me in my tracks, energy levels are back and i am now in full flow again. Overnight I have managed to complete the assembly of several units to cover all current outstanding orders which is a significant relief. Just need to ship them. Possibly a chance to get ahead now smiling smiley

As well as dealing with life itself, my next task is to perform some rework on the printed parts to improve assembly, setup and operation. Once thats done, i can follow my greatest eagerness of creating the dual filament version. I just need to keep the wolves from the door in the meantime smiling smiley

M
October 16, 2014 04:12AM
yo

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 10:20PM by Mutley3D.
October 16, 2014 07:00AM
Hi Jason,

Good to hear back from you. European summer orders are usually delayed because of the three month paid time out at this part of the world. Honestly, I forgot about it too but I am building a FirePickDelta and this how I start missing it.
PM received!
Cheers
Luis
October 18, 2014 02:35AM
I'm just curious, how exactly was this attatched to an un-modified Kossel Mini end effector plate? You mentioned a "merk2uk" verified this, but I can't find any documentation regarding it nor can I see a way of doing this, any help? I would LOVE to use this extruder on my KM, sick and tired of bowden fed systems...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login