Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print with 3 extruders and 1 nozzle

Posted by WannaFly 
Print with 3 extruders and 1 nozzle
May 20, 2014 05:51AM
Hi. I am new to the 3D printers. Now I want to build a 3D printer with 3 extruders and only 1 nozzle. Which are the best electronics and software choices? I am starting to read the repetier firmware, is it possible to use repetier firmware and repetier host for my machine? Should I use 1 arduino for controlling XYZ and another for 3 extruders?
Any idea or pointing is greatly appreciated.
Re: Print with 3 extruders and 1 nozzle
May 20, 2014 06:17AM
Hi

Get yourself onto the reprap irc channel and talk with RifRaf, he has been working on just this for a while.
I believe he is using a [reprap.org] , 6 stepper drivers.

also see [www.thingiverse.com]

From what I see the software support for 3 color is primitive so far..
May 20, 2014 07:00AM
WannaFly
Hi. I am new to the 3D printers. Now I want to build a 3D printer with 3 extruders and only 1 nozzle. Which are the best electronics and software choices? I am starting to read the repetier firmware, is it possible to use repetier firmware and repetier host for my machine? Should I use 1 arduino for controlling XYZ and another for 3 extruders?

Yes you can use Repetier firmware as well as Repetier host to print with 3 extruders on one nozzle.
You only need one board with enough drivers for the motors (6 at least)
The G-code for the printing is the problem at this stage - you need to manually change the G-code in a text editor or use the LCD controller to change the feed from one to the other whilst printing (That is if you selected the right options in Repetier firmware )

You only learn when you change your mind.
[www.deltaprinter.co.za]
May 20, 2014 01:57PM
Dust
Hi

Get yourself onto the reprap irc channel and talk with RifRaf, he has been working on just this for a while.
I believe he is using a [reprap.org] , 6 stepper drivers.

also see [www.thingiverse.com]

From what I see the software support for 3 color is primitive so far..
I am using a RAMPS 1.4 but it only have 5 motor controller, the RUMBA seems to be a good idea. I will try one, but I am not sure about the support for this board.
I don't understand what is the irc channel and how can I get onto it?
May 20, 2014 02:00PM
Xabbax
WannaFly

Yes you can use Repetier firmware as well as Repetier host to print with 3 extruders on one nozzle.
The G-code for the printing is the problem at this stage - you need to manually change the G-code in a text editor or use the LCD controller to change the feed from one to the other whilst printing (That is if you selected the right options in Repetier firmware )
Yes, the G-code seem to be the biggest problem now. I need to extrude all of the 3 material at the same time, while controlling the total amount of material and the ratio between them. I do not know what G-code can help me do this.
May 20, 2014 04:49PM
WannaFly
Xabbax
WannaFly

Yes, the G-code seem to be the biggest problem now. I need to extrude all of the 3 material at the same time, while controlling the total amount of material and the ratio between them. I do not know what G-code can help me do this.

Repetier is working on a solution but it may take a while - [github.com]

[www.deltaprinter.co.za]
May 20, 2014 05:01PM
Just mention that G-code can do it(multiple feeds at the same time) but not implemented in the firmware and the slicers. [reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 05:03PM by Xabbax.

[www.deltaprinter.co.za]
May 21, 2014 01:42AM
Xabbax
Just mention that G-code can do it(multiple feeds at the same time) but not implemented in the firmware and the slicers. [reprap.org]
So G-code can control multiple feed at the same time by setting the feedrate for each extruder (for example E2.24:2.24:2.24:15.89). I wonder is there any way to control multiple feed at the same time by setting the total amount of feed and the ratio between them? Or it is better to implement this in the slicer?
Thank you very much for your time.
May 21, 2014 04:36AM
IRC is Internet relay chat, is real time chat

Most use a IRC client (a program) but you dont need to, there are web based gateways

just go to [webchat.freenode.net]

Pick a Nickname, enter #reprap into the channel

Enter the capture to prove your a person and not a machine and click on connect

re RUMBA, its a well supported board. Is in the main marlin configuration files.
But you can just hack on another pololu driver onto a ramps quite easily.
May 21, 2014 04:43AM
a single hot end cannot have more than one extruder feeding at one time...

there is only one path to the melt chamber, so only one filament at a time.

If you want more than one your going to have to design a hotend with 3 paths into the melt chamber...

Also as noted currently no firmware supports concurrent extrusion. Just tool change so you can swap from one extruder to another.

You should also check out [richrap.blogspot.co.nz]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 04:56AM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login