Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where can I purchase parts?

Posted by kdtop 
Where can I purchase parts?
May 25, 2014 10:49AM
I have a RepRap Mendel Mono, and I need to purchase a hex bolt that has broken on my machine. I was sent a link to an online store where parts could be order a year or so ago when I was having problems with a torn USB port. But for the life of me, I can't seem to find that old post, and searches of this forum and the internet have not been fruitful.

I am in the US, and my local hardware store doesn't sell compatible bolts (i.e. same length, diameter, thread count.). I need the bolt that is part of the extruder drive, that goes through the drive wheel, and down through the hobbed drive bolt

I think this is the extruder I have, though the documentation has been formatted differently from when I built mine.
[reprappro.com]

I think it is the 20 mm hex head M3

What happened was that my large gear stripped out, and when I tried to replace it, I had to take off the bobbed drive, which I recall had been secured with lock-tote (glue). The bolt snapped in the removal process. I have tried a variety of work arounds, but they have not been successful.

Can anyone send me the link where I can purchase the bolt? Or any other ideas?

Thanks
Kevin
Re: Where can I purchase parts?
May 25, 2014 11:56AM
I can't help you with the specs on the bolt, but you can't go wrong buying this kind of thing from mcmaster-carr. You might have to buy a whole box of them, but they should have what you need.
May 25, 2014 12:02PM
If you have a local hobby store, they may have metrics. You can get them from ebay. Fastenal has them, you may have to order. Any of the large chain home supply stores (home depot, lowes,menards,ect) carrys them. Strange that your hardware store does not carry them, must be a small town?
May 25, 2014 02:03PM
Try www.boltdepot.com
May 25, 2014 03:57PM
garyhlucas
Try www.boltdepot.com
Nice site. I added it to my bookmarks.
May 25, 2014 06:58PM
I get a great discount at Fastenal [www.fastenal.com] they should have a M3x20 in stock

Buying anything in a small town you pay through the nose. 4- m5 nuts were $2.00 locally at Fastenal a bag of 100 was the same price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2014 07:01PM by cecil4u.
June 11, 2014 05:21PM
Best bet for metric in US is "hobby" sources.
[rtlfasteners.com]

No affiliation. Pleased customer.
June 12, 2014 09:53PM
robert6688
I suggest you go to the store, 3 d printer should be similar with you, web site

Because everybody needs a $25.00 roll of blue painter's tape... [www.reprap.cn]

Bolt Depot is a great site, and you might check Mr. Metric as well if you haven't found what you need yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2014 09:55PM by stonedcoldskier.
June 13, 2014 06:30AM
Thanks everyone.

I found the bolt online at Fastenal. It was going to be 0.26 for the bolt and $10 for shipping. I was balking at paying that until I found that my small town had a Fastenal store! I bought 5 bolts and it cost me $3. I was satisfied with that. So yesterday I got it all running and run my first print in over a month.

Thanks again

Kevin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login