Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BOM spreadsheets

Posted by reece.arnott 
BOM spreadsheets
July 15, 2007 09:02PM
I've just been looking at the BOM spreadsheets and found they are a little less useful than I'd been lead to believe from the chatter around here.

The unique parts sheet contains all the parts codes for the various sites but the individual spreadsheets just contain a description and the quantity. Obviously this is so you only need to keep one set of part numbers up to date but it seems that this is growing into more of a database application.

I assume it wouldn't be too hard to have a simple database with all these details in it and an interface so you can choose your supplier and it could spit out a BOM spreadsheet on the fly with everything you need just to import straight into the online importer for eg. mouser.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about online databases but I do know that makes sense for their offline counterparts.

Would it make sense to incorporate this into the rrrf.org site so you can buy the boards and at the same time create a BOM for the parts you'll need for that board?

Or even go one step further and (if the supplier allows it) autogenerate an email/ autofill in a form, and order the parts direct and on-the-fly.
Re: BOM spreadsheets
July 15, 2007 09:19PM
you're right... and we do have a front end! infact we're essentially using google spreadsheets are our database until we can get a real db system setup.

i havent linked to the BOM generator officially, but its been around the forums. check out: [bom.reprap.org]. it still needs a bit more testing and a few tweaks, but it is definitely close to being ready for mainstream use.
July 15, 2007 11:47PM
Yeah I just found it and was going to post a 'Don't worry, I'm an idiot' thing but you've saved me the trouble.winking smiley
July 16, 2007 11:50AM
no worries... maybe someone else has the same question and now they will have the answer as well =)

i'll get the BOM generator linked into the wiki and such soon. it appears the electronics portions are working properly, so now we just have to double check the rest and get it all linked in.
July 19, 2007 12:12AM
Zach,
I have just started browsing around and downloaded the BOM spreadsheets for the circuit boards. It seemed that a lot of parts numbers have changed and there are quantity 1 items that the vendors have 1,000 minimums for order. This was primarily with Mouser and I wonder about others as well. Do you know how up to date the BOM database is and what can be done about a qty 1 part with a 1,000 min?

Gary
July 19, 2007 01:35AM
> Do you know how up to date the BOM database is

It is as up to date as the spreadsheets used to build it...!

> and what can be done about a qty 1 part with a 1,000 min?

You could always buy 1000 of them, and donate the remaining 999 to the RRRF??! :-) (Just joking!).

More practically: if you can let us know specifically *which* Mouser part number you are referring to, we can help to look for an alternate part number or an alternate supplier :-)

I used Mouser to buy all the electronics parts needed for a PowerComms board and a Stepper Controller board about five weeks ago, and other than a couple of resistors I had to order qty 10 when I needed just one or two, I had no issues -- certainly nothing was minimum qty 1000! So either the current RepRap BOM has radically changed the part numbers it lists, or this is an extruder controller part (I've not built one of those yet), or else Mouser suddenly changed it minimum order quantities rather radically!

Jonathan
July 19, 2007 01:40AM
Thanks Jonathan!

I'll load it again over the next few days when I have some time, and post an update or error list - something to let you know what I found.

Thanks,
Gary
July 19, 2007 02:13AM
Sure. As a further check, I just went to [bom.reprap.org] and used it to create Mouser BOM Import lists for a PowerComms board, a Stepper Controller, and an Extruder Controller. Each of them I imported into "My Mouser" as a new "project". (It would be neat if we could share such "projects" with other Reprappers, but the Mouser site is not set up to do that!).

Mouser then let me order each of these projects with no quantity related issues at all (I then cancelled my orders... I know, I'm chicken!). Anyway, this means the info in the "database" at bom.reprap.org for these electronics parts at Mouser looks basically sound to me. And I think that info comes directly from the Google spreadsheet linked to on the RepRap Wiki.

Actually, I really *should* order the parts for 2 more StepperControllers and one ExtruderController, for real (and get some stranded hookup wire in several colours ... all my wiring so far is in 22AWG solid copper wire which I found in the garage, all one colour -- not really the recommended approach). I may try another supplier just to verify their parts lists have accurate numbers, instead of Mouser which I already tested in June. It depends how adventurous I feel :-)

Jonathan
July 19, 2007 08:47AM
I just tried the same thing and there are numerous parts that have problems. Here is a cut and paste of the first few and then some of the "minimum qty" parts. What are you doing differently than I am?

78-1N5234B 1N5234B-TR Vishay Semiconductors Zener Diodes
DO-35 6.2 Volt 0.5 Watt - RoHS: COMPLIANT by Exemption

1 Ships Now
$ 0.040 $ 0.04
1N5819
Discontinued Part Number!
Please replace this part number with: 625-1N5819-E3

2N3904
Please replace this part number with: 512-2N3904BU

MAN6940
Please replace this part number with: 638-MAN6940

21RZ310
Please replace this part number with: 21RZ310-RC

140-XRL16V100
More than one match!
Click Here To Select Desired Part Number.

660-CF1/4L103J CF1/4L103J KOA Speer 1/4Watt Axial Leaded Carbon Film Resistors
10Kohms 5% - RoHS: non-compliant/CONTAINS Pb

Click here to search for possible alternate products without standard pack requirements.
Minimum Order 1000

Standard Pack
1000 $ 0.030 $ 0.72
660-CF1/4L104J CF1/4L104J KOA Speer 1/4Watt Axial Leaded Carbon Film Resistors
100Kohms 5% - RoHS: non-compliant/CONTAINS Pb

2 Ships Now
$ 0.150 $ 0.30
660-CF1/4L152J CF1/4L152J KOA Speer 1/4Watt Axial Leaded Carbon Film Resistors
1.5Kohms 5% - RoHS: non-compliant/CONTAINS Pb

Click here to search for possible alternate products without standard pack requirements.
Minimum Order 1000

Standard Pack
1000 $ 0.030 $ 0.03
660-CF1/4L221J CF1/4L221J KOA Speer 1/4Watt Axial Leaded Carbon Film Resistors
220ohms 5% - RoHS: non-compliant/CONTAINS Pb

Minimum Order 1000

Standard Pack
1000 $ 0.030 $ 0.03
660-CF1/4L560J CF1/4L560J KOA Speer 1/4Watt Axial Leaded Carbon Film Resistors
56ohms 5% - RoHS: non-compliant/CONTAINS Pb

Minimum Order 1000

Standard Pack
1000 $ 0.030 $ 0.03
652-4116R-1-150 4116R-1-151 Bourns DIP Thick Film Resistor Networks
16 PIN ISO. 150 OHM - RoHS: non-compliant/CONTAINS Pb

Minimum Order 500
$ 0.350 $ 1.
Anonymous User
July 19, 2007 09:08AM
LaserImage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just tried the same thing and there are numerous
> parts that have problems. Here is a cut and paste
> of the first few and then some of the "minimum
> qty" parts. What are you doing differently than I
> am?

Is your cart empty before you do the import? A lot of the items there don't look like anything reprap uses, maybe they're just leftovers from another project?

I just did the same thing and it worked fine for me. I'm selecting HTML output, USA in step 1, and Mouser(all) in step 2. If this doesn't work for you, post the list you're pasting into Mouser's importer. My list starts off with:

647-UVR1E101MED 3
647-UVR1E102MPD 2
140-XRL50V1.0-RC 5

Jonathan Marsden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I may try another supplier just to verify their
> parts lists have accurate numbers, instead of Mouser
> which I already tested in June. It depends how
> adventurous I feel :-)

If you try futurlec, let me know. I'm going to be sending an order their way in the next week, and I'd planned to add on one of everything reprap uses if nobody else has.
July 19, 2007 09:35AM
Well, don't I feel like an idiot... I didn't notice that I was adding to a BOM from another project I downloaded. It was the one with all the bad part numbers, not RepRap.

thanks Jonathan!
July 19, 2007 11:35AM
no worries... we've all been there =) i'm just glad you didnt find an actual bug!
Anonymous User
July 23, 2007 05:34PM
Hi Zach,

I am trying to sort out how to build the Cartesian bot 1.0 mechanicals.
When I pull a bom for the RP parts several of the quantities are wrong.
E.G.
...........................current Actual
Corner bracket.........4........8.
Diagonal tie bracket.4........20.
Bed Corner...............2........4
Y bearing housing....1........3
bearing 360 run.......1........4

I am sure there are others, but it is tough to play where's waldo from the assembly instructions. Since you have a set of RP parts can you do an inventory and update the RP BOM and reconcile it with the McMaster BOM
It looks like you have sourced Z pulleys from McMaster does this mean that for a "REPSTRAP Darwin" I don't need to RP the Z toothed pulley rim, z toothed pulley? same question goes for Y pulley and X pulley. Without seeing the actual parts it looks like a modified McMaster Y or X pulley can substitute for the XY pulley idler. I have spoken with Alpha prototypes they are very supportive of the REPRAP project and they would be interested in making a REPRAP kit available.
N.B. There quote for 8 corner brackets was $563. I am guessing that if I have only the none cnc-able RP parts made the parts would come in at ~ $3,000. Alpha is willing to quote the work at a good price, but the BOM is not ready for prime time.

I know you are busy, so I understand if this has to wait.

Best,
Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2007 05:38PM by Dan P..
July 23, 2007 05:59PM
thanks for pointing that out. i'm planning on doing a bunch of BOM work tonight, so i'll audit all that stuff as well as make some improvements to the BOM generator itself.
July 23, 2007 06:02PM
thanks for pointing that out. i'm planning on doing a bunch of BOM work tonight, so i'll audit all that stuff as well as make some improvements to the BOM generator itself.

also, for the pulleys: you can definitely use them as idlers, although at $8/ea it is a bit pricey. you can also skip getting the Z pulley rims RP'ed. you will have to modify one z-pulley yourself by removing the side wall on one side, as well as making a pulley rim yourself. basically take a circle of some hard material (acrylic, etc) and put an 8mm hole down the middle. this is required so you can actually get the belt around the pulley.
November 09, 2007 11:29AM
The BOM (parts.reprap.org) seems to have some issue with McMaster.

It says part #9657k108 for Spring, but I notice it is a _pack_ of springs? is it 4 packs we need?

The X tooth pulley and Y tooth pulley have exact same part number? One of them is wrong?

Thanks.
November 09, 2007 01:58PM
hey, thanks for the heads up.

the spring: i hadn't specified how many springs that item contained. we need 4 springs, and the pack supplied 12. i fixed it in the spreadsheet for the BOM and now it correct.

as for the pulleys: logically the x and y pulleys are separate, but we use the same part from McMaster for it, so they are technically the same. the data is right =)
November 09, 2007 09:20PM
Thanks Zach.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login