Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Contraptor

Posted by maitri982 
Contraptor
February 14, 2010 08:59PM
Perhaps this is something that could have an extruder strapped to it for FDM:

[www.contraptor.org]

$300 gets you a multi-tool capable apparatus...

Kevin
Re: Contraptor
February 15, 2010 02:34AM
Especially when you consider that all of their example machines use the Arduino GCode interpreter - definitely.
February 15, 2010 04:18AM
The Contraptor folk hang out here sometimes.

[dev.forums.reprap.org]
February 15, 2010 10:11AM
I see it only has 2" in the z-axis though...which is rather limiting for FDM. Maybe they will offer different scaled versions in the future.
February 15, 2010 01:05PM
Some RepRap folk (me + people who think it is fun) are making similar machines and also working on modular building systems.

[objects.reprap.org]
and
[objects.reprap.org]
and
[objects.reprap.org]
February 15, 2010 01:16PM
I like eiffel...would be nice to see eiffel made with t-slot with linear motion handled by rack and pinion perhaps...
February 15, 2010 03:30PM
I like eiffel...would be nice to see eiffel made with t-slot with linear motion handled by rack and pinion perhaps...

I agree. Would you like to tack up a name and a verbal sketch here:
[objects.reprap.org]

I'm trying to distinguish subvarieties of "Basic Box", and I think a T-Slot Box is important enough that it needs its own name.

Eventually we'll be making RBS/Beam with T-Slots + Holes. Forrest is very close with his columnar rails with built in slots, but I don't think he's designing in regularly spaced through-holes yet, so that he can bolt three together to form the corner of a [[Basic Box]] or use sheets of masonite or steel pegboard as a stiffening element. Or even Meccano/Contraptor angle. Which I call [[RBS/Angle]]. smiling smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
February 19, 2010 07:57PM
maitri982 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like eiffel...would be nice to see eiffel made
> with t-slot with linear motion handled by rack and
> pinion perhaps...

That sounds a lot like CubeSpawn: http://cubespawn.com

Except Cubespawn is conceived of from the beginning as a modular system, so they can be linked together to form production chains. The concept is quite general, it doesn't require T-slot although T-slot helps: it could be angle-bracket a la Contraptor, or GridBeam in wood or metal, as long as it interfaces with other Cubes correctly.
February 19, 2010 11:04PM
maitri982 Wrote:
> I see it only has 2" in the z-axis though...which
> is rather limiting for FDM. Maybe they will offer
> different scaled versions in the future.

This particular arrangement has only 2" Z travel, but 3" is easily achievable by moving the X stage 1" down. This wouldn't require any new parts.

More than 3" in Z is also achievable if you only want FDM - by mounting small Z stage on raised Y (vs current arrangement of Y on Z).

I actually intend to use the sped up version of the mini CNC (with multistart leadscrews) as a starting point for a Repstrap/milling hybrid. I'm thinking that 3" height should be sufficient for most parts - is this a bad assumption?

Vitaly
[contraptor.org]
February 21, 2010 01:47AM
maitri982 Wrote:
> I like eiffel...would be nice to see eiffel made
> with t-slot with linear motion handled by rack and
> pinion perhaps...

That sounds a lot like CubeSpawn: [cubespawn.com]

Except Cubespawn is conceived of from the beginning as a modular system, so they can be linked together to form production chains. The concept is quite general, it doesn't require T-slot although T-slot helps: it could be angle-bracket a la Contraptor, or GridBeam in wood or metal, as long as it interfaces with other Cubes correctly.

Step 1 is get eiffel and other "Basic Boxes" up on the wiki and built.
Step 2 is chaining them together, like {generic production lines}, including CubeSpawn's fascinating work. We may accidentally reinvent Cubespawn, and we'll carefully cite the stuff that inspires us during the development process.

E.g. pick-and-place to modded toaster oven via ball-and-chain conveyor belt, etc.

RBS is a modular system. Eiffel is just a suggested and maintained, well documented configuration.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login