Just add stepper motors ...

Posted by SebastienBailard 
Just add stepper motors ...
February 15, 2010 04:48AM
Here's a possible RepStrap candidate for all you metal heads out there:
[www.vanda-layindustries.com]

Also noted here:
[objects.reprap.org]

Please note: the ACRA Mill does not support stepper motors out of the box. Interested parties are encouraged to drop the guy a line about it, and see what happens.

I think BeagleFury was annoyed when I recommended a Taig or a Sherline. This is cheaper. And I don't know if anyone has bolted an extruder on a drill-mill.
Re: Just add stepper motors ...
February 15, 2010 05:46AM
That is a beautiful machine. I emailed him with my compliments. Asked about stepper conversion. I'll let all know what he thinks.
February 15, 2010 09:01AM
Very cool. Thanks, Sebastian.
February 15, 2010 12:56PM
That is a beautiful machine. I emailed him with my compliments. Asked about stepper conversion. I'll let all know what he thinks.

Try telephoning him if you don't get an email response. (I didn't get an email response.)
February 15, 2010 01:17PM
that price is phenomenal. By the looks of the threaded rod he is using you will need some heavy duty steppers to turn them...
February 15, 2010 03:25PM
He wrote back very quickly.

Hi

Many people have asked me can the mill be converted. I haven't tried. I don't use CNC in my shop, but some have bought the acra mill just for that purpose, but never got back to me to tell me if it worked or not. They also never asked for their money back, so I must assume it worked. The thread I use is a 1/2"-20, so each full rotation is .050" of an inch.

Thanks
Larry
My problem now is the screw pitch. I'm driving with 1/4" 20 now. He uses 1/2" 20 which is no improvement for me.

Still a beautiful machine.
February 15, 2010 05:05PM
A good cheap lead screw, which I used on an EDM machine is the 40TPI threaded rod, which is used to hold lamps together. This makes for a fine pitch about 3/8 in diameter.

The EDM I made from plans published by home and shop machinist, used a spring loaded half split nuts to control the backlash. The downside is that it is slow and the screw can not carry a great deal of load.

-julie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login