Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CAUTION! Simplify3D / Reprappro Melzi Users -FIXED

Posted by rob_paragoncb 
CAUTION! Simplify3D / Reprappro Melzi Users -FIXED
May 30, 2014 09:54AM
A word of WARNING to other Reprappro Melzi users who may be using or considering Simplify3D 2.1.0.

It is not my intent here to critisize anyone's hardware or software implementations but merely to inform other users of a possible risk, particularly if you happen to be fiddling around with hotends.

Although the software has many useful features and generally works well with Marlin based firmware (I already like it a lot) there is a safety related issue at least with the current version as follows:-

When powering up your hardware and connecting to it with Simplify3D it will Connect automatically and begin heating the Hotend to 205 deg C. without any user intervention whatsoever.

To Regain control, open the Tools>Machine Control Panel, wait until the hotend reaches the set point of about 205deg. C and hit the extruders "Off" button under Accessory Control.

It seems to behave correctly from that point onwards unless the printer hardware is powered off and then on again.

This may also apply to other hardware and/or versions of Marlin, I don't know

If anyone else has had a simular experience or can shed some light on it, please do so in the appropriate fashion.

UPDATE 31/5/14 FIXED corrupt firmware, reloaded Marlin works fine now, explanation unknown

Many thanks to Reprappro and Simplify3D for their efforts to help sort it

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2014 11:11AM by rob_paragoncb.
Re: CAUTION! Simplify3D / Melzi Users
May 30, 2014 10:19AM
I just got Simplify3D, and although the slicing is insanely fast compared to Slic3r [on my computer, the most complex model I had on hand took two minutes, I've had Slic3r take hours like many before me] and the tool paths make sense, better supports, etc. I'm not ditching my Repetier host, I'm just using a watch directory, and Slicer for small objects. Tests show that it's not perfect, or even better in every single way.
So it's just a suggestion, but those in that situation could use it for slicing and Repetier host for controlling.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Re: CAUTION! Simplify3D / Reprappro Melzi Users
May 30, 2014 10:43AM
That's strange, I just got the software as well, whenever it connects to my printer, it does not auto-heat my hot end.

MrDoctorDIV,
just a question, why do you use Simplify3D to slice then send it to the printer via repetier host?
Re: CAUTION! Simplify3D / Melzi Users
May 30, 2014 10:43AM
OK that's fine, but you didn't mention if you had seen the same problem or not.

Also I would like to emphasize, if the USB is connected and the hardware has just been powered up then the hotend on my machine ramps up as soon as the Simplify3D software is started.... like it or not.
May 30, 2014 10:45AM
Good question ISONOOB!, which printer/controller/firmware are you using ?

Please EVERYONE state you hardware/software configuration if posting under this topic, I wish to resolve the issue not make it more confusing.

Thanks

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2014 10:50AM by rob_paragoncb.
May 30, 2014 10:53AM
I use Repetier host because it's a more comfortable and easy interface. I like the easy access to the things I use. I don't have to open a seperate console for things I want right there. Also, there's a live preview of the print in progress, etc etc.
I've got a Solidoodle 3 that's been modified. Minitronics board with Repetier firmware.
And I didn't have the same problem, I had a problem figuring [five seconds, but still] out that you have to press "set" to change the temp once you've entered a new one, another reason I like Repetier host, it's more straightforward.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
May 30, 2014 10:55AM
Repetier host has Slic3r somewhat embede [just controlled through, it's not run inside RH, so it's not truly embedded]. Surely the makers of their own software could do better and not have to save and open in another console to print. Also, you have to reload each time you stop the print, RH you just hit run again.

May 30, 2014 11:11AM
@rob_paragoncb
I am not experiencing the same issue. I have a MendelMax 1.5, I used to use a combination of Slic3r and Pronterface. Now I solely use Simplify3D for slicing models and controlling my printer. Maybe try Pronterface or Repetierhost and connect to your printer and see if it is heating up the hot end?

@MrDoctorDIV
What you said makes sense. The tabbed interface of the Machine Control Panel makes options and controls more clicks away. I use Simplify3D instead of Pronterface/Repetierhost though since I find it a bit more convenient. When I start up Simplify3D I usually fire up the Machine Control Panel to preheat. That way, when I'm done importing models and editing settings, I can just slice and begin printing over USB. I personally find it a bit more convenient than firing up Slic3r and Pronterface separately. Also, Simplify3D does have live preview tracking as well, better than Pronterface imo, however, I have not used Repetierhost, so I can't comment on that.
May 30, 2014 11:36AM
I load up Repetier host long before I open up Simplify3D, since my hotend takes 3-5 minutes to heat up. Repetier host's directory watch is live, so when I slice and save, all I have to do is switch to RH, click on the already populated gcode, and run. Even though it's two programs [made more convenient by my ultrawide monitor] it's a lot easier to me than just using S3D.

May 30, 2014 11:44AM
@isonoob

I don't see the problem with Slic3r/pronterface only with simplify3D.

My hardware is a Mendel and the controller is a melzi but it has reprappro (cut-down) version of the marlin firmware installed (which is common in the UK at least) so it is quite specific. I haven't tried the full version of Marlin or any other firmware as yet.

Reprappro have responded with one suggestion but I am waiting for Simplify3D to respond if it a likely issue at this point.

I agree this is a little bizzare but it is a safety concern and I only noticed it as I was doing maintenance on the hot end at the time and burnt a finger in the process though thankfully not too serious - just an ouch.
Re: FIXED
May 31, 2014 11:09AM
This problem is now fixed.

Seems to have been related to corruption in firmware, although I dont know the cause.

Try reloading your firmware first if you experience this problem.

Thanks to all those who provided their own experiences and comments

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2014 11:12AM by rob_paragoncb.
Re: CAUTION! Simplify3D / Reprappro Melzi Users -FIXED
September 05, 2014 08:42AM
can you post please your settings to connect?
only with pronterface the printer connect not with s3d sad smiley

Thanks
September 21, 2014 05:45AM
i have the same problem, no connect with s3d...
September 22, 2014 07:44PM
donandi
i have the same problem, no connect with s3d...

do you have the proper drivers installed? Are you using the correct baud rate? what errors are you seeing?
September 23, 2014 03:02AM
proper drivers? i used the ones in the arduino folder like it´s described in nopheads manual. with pronterface it works. onls s3d doesn´t...com port and baud rates are correct.
where do i see errors?
September 23, 2014 04:23PM
in the communication tab of the machine control panel where you set the com port and baud rate
October 01, 2014 03:29PM
i have attached some pictures
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20141001_211645_1081x800.jpg (381.6 KB)
open | download - IMG_20141001_211804_1081x800.jpg (340.8 KB)
October 18, 2014 04:43PM
hi donandi,

were you able to resolve your connection issue with Simplify3d?
I have the exact same issue and can't find a solution for it.

I have a Mendel90, running Marlin 1.0.0 RC2

Simplify3D suggested I install Teensyduino 1.20 for a better USB support via Arduino (I 'm using 1.0.6).
So I have installed Teenyduino in my Arduino, recompiled and uploaded Marlin, power cycled the printer, but there was no change.
I receive the same error message as depicted in you image for S3D and can connect with all other programs, CURA, Repetier, Proterface, etc.

Maybe an indication:
In Repetier I have configured sound files in preferences.
When I press the connect button in Repetier it connects and does not display any errors, however, the error sound is executed twice.
Could be that all other programs are a bit more fault tolerant than S3D.

In any case it is frusterating considering I have paid for S3D and only the free programs connect.

BTW: I have the same issue from two different PC's
On PC-1, I have;
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz (64 Bit), 4 GB RAM
Nothing else connected to USB, other than Keyboard/mouse, and Mendel90 printer
It currently does nothing else but serve the 3D printer

On PC-2, I have;
AMD FX-8350 Eight-core-processor (64 Bit), 16 GB RAM
On the USB: Keyboard/mouse, webcam & various external drives

When running S3D I have no other 3D software up and connected to the printer.
However, I did try to see if the error message is different, and yes it is.
The error message is also different when the printer is not connected. So I believe the printer and PC see each other.

On PC-1 I have deactivated all background programs, including the firewall, with the same error message every time.
On PC-1 it is trying to connect on COM3.
On PC-2 it is trying to connect on COM6.
The following error message is reported on 250000, 230400 & 115200;
"Attempting connection at \\.\COM3... (or COM6 on PC-2)
Testing plaintext communication protocol...
Testing binary communication protocol...
Attempting RTS reset and trying again...
Connection failed."

The slower speeds have an additional message containing;
“WARNING: framing error detected by hardware. Please verify that you are using the correct baud rate.”

Have both PC’s report the same condition would point to the printer.
However, the rest of the world’s 3D software connect immediately, which points back to S3D.
But then hearing error tones from Repetier during a connection may indicate it's the printer.

I'm confused.....

Any help is highly appreciated.
October 18, 2014 11:26PM
AJET69
hi donandi,

were you able to resolve your connection issue with Simplify3d?
I have the exact same issue and can't find a solution for it.

I have a Mendel90, running Marlin 1.0.0 RC2

Simplify3D suggested I install Teensyduino 1.20 for a better USB support via Arduino (I 'm using 1.0.6).
So I have installed Teenyduino in my Arduino, recompiled and uploaded Marlin, power cycled the printer, but there was no change.
I receive the same error message as depicted in you image for S3D and can connect with all other programs, CURA, Repetier, Proterface, etc.

Maybe an indication:
In Repetier I have configured sound files in preferences.
When I press the connect button in Repetier it connects and does not display any errors, however, the error sound is executed twice.
Could be that all other programs are a bit more fault tolerant than S3D.

In any case it is frusterating considering I have paid for S3D and only the free programs connect.

BTW: I have the same issue from two different PC's
On PC-1, I have;
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz (64 Bit), 4 GB RAM
Nothing else connected to USB, other than Keyboard/mouse, and Mendel90 printer
It currently does nothing else but serve the 3D printer

On PC-2, I have;
AMD FX-8350 Eight-core-processor (64 Bit), 16 GB RAM
On the USB: Keyboard/mouse, webcam & various external drives

When running S3D I have no other 3D software up and connected to the printer.
However, I did try to see if the error message is different, and yes it is.
The error message is also different when the printer is not connected. So I believe the printer and PC see each other.

On PC-1 I have deactivated all background programs, including the firewall, with the same error message every time.
On PC-1 it is trying to connect on COM3.
On PC-2 it is trying to connect on COM6.
The following error message is reported on 250000, 230400 & 115200;
"Attempting connection at \\.\COM3... (or COM6 on PC-2)
Testing plaintext communication protocol...
Testing binary communication protocol...
Attempting RTS reset and trying again...
Connection failed."

The slower speeds have an additional message containing;
“WARNING: framing error detected by hardware. Please verify that you are using the correct baud rate.”

Have both PC’s report the same condition would point to the printer.
However, the rest of the world’s 3D software connect immediately, which points back to S3D.
But then hearing error tones from Repetier during a connection may indicate it's the printer.

I'm confused.....

Any help is highly appreciated.

i have s3d and it connects to all of my printers without issue... because of that i would say it's most likely something with your printer/firmware/driver setup. what type of microcontroller board are you running the Marlin Firmware on? Also have you tried right clicking and running as administrator?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2014 11:27PM by isonoob.
October 19, 2014 03:08PM
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Unfortunately, running S3D as administrator did not work. I had my fingers crossed so hard it almost hurt eye rolling smiley, but it did not help.

The microcontroller is a "Melzi W/ ATmega1284p 16mHz".

I believe the support from Simplify3D is of the same opinion, that it is something in the printer/firmware/driver setup. Which is why they pointed me to Teensyduino (link provided by S3D).
However, loading the software into Arduino, and I installed all of the modules since I was not sure which one would actually help, then recompiling the Marlin code and loading it into the Melzi, had no impact on the result.

Actually it made no difference at all, so that I was unsure if I had done it correctly.
However I then found that if I load Pronterface and connect, it reports when the code was loaded and the report was correct, so I believe I had done it correctly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2014 03:14PM by AJET69.
October 19, 2014 03:58PM
AJet,

just to clarify, are you able to connect and control the printer via pronterface/repetier host?
October 20, 2014 02:56PM
Yes, I can connect, control and print with Proterface, Repetier and CURA.
No problems there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 02:57PM by AJET69.
October 20, 2014 03:06PM
can u take a screenshot of pronterface on connection? When you ocnnect with protnerface, the printer should spit out some communication to pronterface which u can see
October 21, 2014 03:52AM
attached are the screenshots for Pronterface and Simplify3d.
I first started and connected proterface, took a snapshot, disconnected and closed proterface.
Then started Simply3D which automatically started to connect when I clicked the "Machine Control Panel" icon and took a snapshot.
Attachments:
open | download - Simply3D.JPG (100 KB)
open | download - Proterface.JPG (100.9 KB)
October 21, 2014 04:00AM
oh yeah, exactly the same with my mendel90. my screenshots would look the same :-)
October 21, 2014 09:20AM
Hi donandi,

I take it then that you have also not yet resolved the issue for S3D and your Mendel90?
October 21, 2014 09:25AM
Yes, unfortunately not...
October 21, 2014 11:29AM
@ donandi!!!

I have found the solution to my problem and possibly yours as well.hot smiley

Well I did'nt.....Tai Pham from Simplify3D support recommended I try this. Took them a while, but they came trough after all. drinking smiley

Open the Simplify3D Software
Go to Tools>Firmware Configuration and select the communication tab.
Uncheck the "Wait for startup command".

This must be a default setting because I never changed it.

This connected for me immediately and I now have control over my printer.
I have yet to print, however I am confident it will work.
I wanted to share this with you first.

@isonoob
thanks for your time and effort in helping us find and resolve this issue thumbs up
I really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Andrew
October 21, 2014 02:32PM
Ohhhhhh yeaaaaahhh, Andrew, thanks mate, now it works!!!!!
I´m starteing a print this evening, will get back with infos....
October 21, 2014 02:57PM
Good luck with your print.
I need to fly out to London and won't be able to print till the weekend.
My boss just does not understand that I currently have more important things to do than work.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Looking forward to your report.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login