Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sending g-code to smart LCD SD

Posted by Antslake 
Sending g-code to smart LCD SD
June 02, 2014 10:48PM
Is there a way to send your g-code files to the SD card on this smart LCD?
[www.makerfarm.com]

It seems I wore out my SD slot, and it is not working anymore. If I replace it, I don't want it to wear out again. Plus I think it's just silly to take out the SD all the time to load a g-code on it, we should be able to send it right there. Sorry for my ignorance if there is an answer.

Using a makerfarm prusa i3 with ramps 1.4 and marlin EPCOS i38.
Re: Sending g-code to smart LCD SD
June 02, 2014 11:05PM
yes proterface you can send files to sd card

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 03, 2014 12:08AM
Ok that worked. Is there a way to upload the gcode into the file system I have on the SC card? Or does it only upload into the root?
I print with different materials and have my gcode folders separated by material and nozzle size.

I also fixed the SD slot, seems a piece of the SC card broke off in it, woot. Still want to upload though instead of taking card out all the time.
June 03, 2014 07:43AM
You're probably going to find that it takes forever to upload a file of any size and go back to using the computer to do it.
June 03, 2014 07:22PM
tjb1
You're probably going to find that it takes forever to upload a file of any size and go back to using the computer to do it.

Just to clarify the above, sending files to the SD card from your host software means that it still has to traverse your USB cable at serial port speeds (115,200/250,000 baud). A file that I could copy in 10 seconds with an SD card reader took 25 minutes to transfer over USB from Repetier-Host, and after that I yanked the card from that point on.

It does bear mentioning that Smoothieboard and the Azteeg X5 both present the on-board SD card slot as a thumb drive over the USB cable, in addition to having the serial link on the same cable. This setup does not suffer from the transfer speed problem that other firmware does.....
June 04, 2014 03:19AM
yes but some people might not have a reader so only option is that way

up and running
June 04, 2014 06:06AM
There are several options for USB-connected SD card readers on Amazon USA for under $8.00 US, with the $1.62 one from Hong Kong being cheap enough to be included as a prize in a box of breakfast cereal. I paid $6.99 for this one, and it has a USB3 interface and also reads micro-SD cards:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009D79VH4/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Time is money, and spending half an hour of printing time copying a file to SD card via the printer's USB interface is insane with readers being so cheap.....
June 04, 2014 09:26AM
chris33
yes but some people might not have a reader so only option is that way

I agree with vreihen...why would you spend so much time sending a file over to the SD card. You can buy usb adapters for MicroSD cards and I have SD cards that fold in half and present a USB plug for use with my LCD. It took a minute for it to transfer 4% of a 10mb file over USB, took 1 second to do that plugging it into the computer? That was a fairly small file too, I have some that are up to 70mb or more. I have just recently moved my Kossel over to LCD printing since my laptops have trouble running it and I can't carry my desktop around. I initially tried the LCD but had stepper wire interference and this is when I tried just the SD adapter and discovered the terribly slow transfer and went to using the computer to save file, then plugging it into the printer and then starting the print from Repetier Host and then disconnecting the computer. Too many steps so I finally bought some ferrite beads for the LCD cables and it has been trouble free since.
June 04, 2014 09:32AM
yes its ok for doing that but some people might want a quick solution i was offering that, if someone asked me the same question i don't just think 1st go out and buy a card reader then transfer details that person might not be able to get one the same day so i offered the quickest solution and that was it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 09:37AM by chris33.

up and running
June 04, 2014 11:29AM
I have a reader. I just think it's silly to keep taking the sd in and out. I feel like it is going to break. I am already plugged into the ramps board. But taking 30mins to upload a file is silly too. With all this technology you think a better way would have been incorporated.
June 04, 2014 06:29PM
Antslake
I am already plugged into the ramps board. But taking 30mins to upload a file is silly too. With all this technology you think a better way would have been incorporated.

As I wrote above:

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,364287,364763#msg-364763

"It does bear mentioning that Smoothieboard and the Azteeg X5 both present the on-board SD card slot as a thumb drive over the USB cable, in addition to having the serial link on the same cable. This setup does not suffer from the transfer speed problem that other firmware does."

You will appreciate the beauty of this setup when you're in Cura slicing an object, and simply click on the "Save to SD" button to write the file directly to the SD card in the printer at full USB speeds without any card juggling.....
June 05, 2014 01:00PM
Thanks, I guess I should look into upgrading to those boards.

vreihen
Antslake
I am already plugged into the ramps board. But taking 30mins to upload a file is silly too. With all this technology you think a better way would have been incorporated.

As I wrote above:

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,364287,364763#msg-364763

"It does bear mentioning that Smoothieboard and the Azteeg X5 both present the on-board SD card slot as a thumb drive over the USB cable, in addition to having the serial link on the same cable. This setup does not suffer from the transfer speed problem that other firmware does."

You will appreciate the beauty of this setup when you're in Cura slicing an object, and simply click on the "Save to SD" button to write the file directly to the SD card in the printer at full USB speeds without any card juggling.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login