Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How a standing "T" or "E" or "Z" etc. would be printed?confused smiley

Posted by MIRZA 
How a standing "T" or "E" or "Z" etc. would be printed?confused smiley
June 04, 2014 09:01AM
I am new to 3D Printing. I have just ordered one PRUSA DIY Kit for me which have not yet arrived. I am just imagining how something which is hanging in air would be printed with a single extruder type printer? For example, imagine I want to print a standing letter "T" or "E" or "Z" etc. What about the hanging portion of any object which is not touching the base? Please see the .jpg file I have attached for clarification. Please don't mind if you find it a silly question.
Attachments:
open | download - 3D Printing T.jpg (15.9 KB)
Re: How a standing "T" or "E" or "Z" etc. would be printed?confused smiley
June 04, 2014 09:13AM
Most slicers can generate what is called support which means the printer will print a structure from the bed up to where the over hang is which can be removed after the print is done
June 04, 2014 09:13AM
In 3D printing we usually orientate for the best way to print, for letters that would be flat, unless it was attached to something and required printing standing up, I would always print them flat.
But to directly answer the question, use supports. Supports are printed, in the best case scenario, to be easily removeable support structures for overhang. What slicer are you going to be using?

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 04, 2014 12:26PM
Thanks friends. Is "Slicer" a software which converts a 3D design into slices to be printed? I used the case of "letters T,E,Z" as example only. Can you give a link to a Image gallery or video where using supports is shown or explained? As of now I am not sure what Software or slicer i will be using. I only have to wait for my printer to be shipped with some included software.
June 04, 2014 12:30PM
In other words: if you lay your characters flat on their backs, they don't need any support. Besides that they'll have a nice shiny side, and a more rough side. So you can anticipate on which side you want to be shown by placing them flat normaly, or flat upside down.
June 04, 2014 01:38PM
MIRZA
I used the case of "letters T,E,Z" as example only.
The term you're wanting to describe is "overhang" when a feature of an object is pointing out horizontally into the air. Most slicing programs can generate supports for these features, but need to know how much "bridging" distance the printer can handle in order to determine the density of the support needed. Alternatively, you can incorporate custom supports into your model that connect in places and ways that aren't obvious when they are clipped off the model after the end of the print. This is as much an art as a science, but it's pretty easy to get manually-designed supports to work more efficiently than the automatically generated ones.

Alternately, a printer with a dual extruder is used to print dissolvable support material which you don'e need to worry about cutting off the finished print, just soak the whole thing in lemon juice overnight and the support material is gone. This is pretty much the main reason that dual extruders is a sought-after feature.
June 04, 2014 02:01PM
There are several slicers out there, the most popular currently is Slic3r (with a three). As mentioned it is best to orient or design parts that don't need support but it's not always possible and so that is why support exists. Just search Google Images for 3D printer support to see images. You won't likely find a gallery of images as that would be like trying to find a woodworker that has a gallery of wood shavings.

Support is basically a scaffolding but it always requires extra work to remove and sand, file or smooth the surface when done, that is why it's avoided when possible. People even cut models apart, print separate parts and glue them back together sometimes to avoid using support.

Slicers take STL files and slice them into Gcode. So you do need to have am STL file to start with.

As already stated your letters example would easily print without the need for support if you lay the letters flat. I understand this was only an example but you need to think in terms like this when designing for 3D print.
June 04, 2014 02:05PM
Thanks Feign, Ohmarinus, MrDoctorDIV and Josh mp5. I learned a lot.smiling smiley
June 04, 2014 02:11PM
You might this of use too:
[www.thingiverse.com]
June 06, 2014 01:18PM
Is it only possible to use a dissolveable support material like PLA with a dual or tripple head 3D Printer?
June 06, 2014 02:57PM
yes, because if you were to try and do it in two stages the printhead would be colliding with what you printed on the first pass.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login