Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cyanoacrylate makes ABS parts bad a$$

Posted by Bill Clark 
Cyanoacrylate makes ABS parts bad a$$
June 07, 2014 12:44AM
a quick search hear didn't show anything so I thought I would pass this along. A machinist friend (who also has a printer) told me a trick for making fixtures for machine work. Basically print the fixture then soak it in Cyanoacrylate (CA), aka superglue, over night. Once the glue has cured you are left with a very stout piece that is hard and wont delaminate. Personally I haven't soaked anything overnight yet but I did print some bearing blocks and left the top layer somewhat open wicking the glue down inside with excellent results. I have also wicked it down threaded holes reinforcing the threads and brushed it on the surface of other parts. Compressed air helps blow off the excess. Very thin CA needs to be used to avoid excess build up on the surface and for good penetration. The stuff can be purchased from hobby shops. Ebay as 8oz bottles cheap too. Obviously have a strategy to hold the part to keep from any unwanted bonding
Re: Cyanoacrylate makes ABS parts bad a$$
June 07, 2014 02:29AM
I've wondered about dowsing the part in something with low viscosity like Cyanoacrylate and immediately placing it in a airtight box and providing a vacuum. Literally suck the glue into the recesses of the print. That would be come insanely durable material.
June 09, 2014 06:38AM
There are several similar treatments which improve the tensile strength, inter-lamination bonding and flexibility of FFF printed plastics. One that is quite well known on these forums is Acetone and ABS. The fumes of Acetone soften ABS and polishes the surface, but less well known is that it improves the bonding between layers. Cold fuming over quite a long time allows the Acetone to penetrate deeper than hot fuming.

For PLA I use Evostick Extru-Fix which works well as a glue and is so mobile that a small drop is all that is needed. Not only is the bond between parts really good, but the material strength and flexibility are substantially better.

Mike
June 09, 2014 08:35AM
I use Rust-oleum matter clear coat, not only does it increase strength [haven't tested, but likely close, but not matching smoothing of layers] but it also increases scratch resistence, etc. I just have issues getting an even coat on complex prints.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 09, 2014 10:48PM
The CA appears to work in the same way as ABS juice in regard to the fumes fusing the layers. Another thing I like about it is the part finishes better when bead blasted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login