Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recycling failed prints (ABS)

Posted by Ggalisky 
Recycling failed prints (ABS)
June 15, 2014 12:55AM
I am going to launch my kickstarter soon, and I am looking for feed back from you guys. I am trying to create a recycling program for failed prints. Check it out at this link [www.kickstarter.com]
Re: Recycling failed prints (ABS)
June 16, 2014 05:24PM
Update: I just received an email from kickstarter approving my project. I'm going to launch it this Wednesday at 5pm. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/874542767/750821315?token=8016ba5a
A2
June 16, 2014 08:31PM
$40/kg for filament that a customer sends you the raw material does not make sense to me, as the customer has to also add in the cost of shipping the material to you.

You don't mention if the price will increase after your campaign ends, which is typically the case, and I surmise the expectation of a supporter.

You should make it clear in your campaign that the material should be labeled as to it's type, and should be in separate containers. As it reads they could send you a bag of mixed plastic, and you will have to sort it, which I don't think will be 100% fool proof.

Looks like you're going to purchase one extruder, if your successful/popular you might need many more to meet demand. As your campaign funds grow, you might want to add more extruders to your production. I would also conduct a survey now, and during your campaign to help determine how much per month/year a customer will be sending you. This will help you to gauge how many extruders to purchase, and how much work load you will have.
June 18, 2014 07:49PM
Update: The Kickstarter is live! Check out and tell your friends about it. Link: [www.kickstarter.com]
June 18, 2014 08:41PM
Point A: You will not be able to run at a production pace with a Filastruder or even a room full of them, they are passable on a personal use level, but not for production. I have a filament extruder, when put under 24hr+ run times, failed motors, failed gear drives, failed couplers, failed thrust bearing, snapped an auger in two, and that's just the mechanical side.

Point B: How will you handle all the random contaminates of failed prints? I.E. pieces of blue tape, hair, dust, the random tossed in captive nut or set screw?

Point C: Who's material will you use to purge from customer A's black ABS, to customer B's white ABS? Or PLA to ABS? I've heard of up to 1 lb+ of material to purge from black to white with a desktop extruder.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 10:04PM by Dirty Steve.
June 18, 2014 10:32PM
How are you breaking up misprints to be able to be used in the filastruder? Have you recycled prints before?

At $40/kg I could go buy 2 kg of brand new filament. Why would I spend time/money to have you recycle my old stuff?

Also, you say the price will be lower after the campaign is over. So why would I not just wait and pay less?

It's an interesting concept, but I think you really need to sort out the details and show proof that you can do what you are saying you can do. A cheap granulation service would be great. I would definitely save up failed prints and send them out once I have a decent amount.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 10:36PM by gmh39.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
June 19, 2014 01:14AM
no responses to questions, no ideas to discuss, just straight up kick-starter advertising,
spam
June 19, 2014 02:43AM
I apoligize for my lack of communication, I have been busy with the launch of the kickstarter. I have no negative intentions.

You all raise valid points and I am sorry I do not have answers. Most if not all of the variables you have talked about I have not been aware of. I just wanted to try something with good intentions all long. Sorry for disrupting the forums.
June 19, 2014 01:48PM
Ggalisky, ignore the people on here who are just negative, kickstarter seems to bring them out of the woodwork. Some of these questions are very important though and should really be answered by yourself before you launch the kickstarter. Your heart is in the right place but your head isn't there yet, you need to do more homework on this project. You listing does not state that you have successfully created printable filament from old prints. I am surprised you were green lighted by kickstarter as your video doesn't demonstrate your process. You should really consider making a video demonstrating your process and add it to your listing. You also need to sit down and calculate your costs to see if this is economically viable for you and for your customers. I think that your project may be a bit too ambitious but I wish you the best of luck.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
June 19, 2014 02:06PM
I have canceled the project, and will be working on it with your feed back.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2014 10:12PM by Ggalisky.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login