Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is Makerbot Replicator 2 good?

Posted by Killuminati 
Is Makerbot Replicator 2 good?
June 15, 2014 04:11PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to the 3D world and I want to buy a machine for myself. I like the Makerbot replicator 2 but since I'm new to this I don't know if its good or not? I am willing to spend around 2,000 but for the right printer. Please let me know what you guys think! Any personal experience welcome.

Thanks.
Re: Is Makerbot Replicator 2 good?
June 16, 2014 08:01PM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm u may find not alot of people like the word makerbot (takerbot) in the reprap community

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 16, 2014 11:36PM
You my friend Are Brave for asking that here.

I suggest looking at the wiki under suppliers. There are Many good printers at that price from lulzbot to makergear and many others

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
A2
June 17, 2014 04:01AM
You should list your requirements of a 3d printer, then search for a printer that meets your unique needs.

3ders list of printers:
[www.3ders.org]

Reddit list of printers:
[www.reddit.com]
June 17, 2014 06:00AM
Killuminati
Hello everyone,

I am new to the 3D world and I want to buy a machine for myself. I like the Makerbot replicator 2 but since I'm new to this I don't know if its good or not? I am willing to spend around 2,000 but for the right printer. Please let me know what you guys think! Any personal experience welcome.

Thanks.

The only people who can really answer that question are Makerbot owners I would assume, and there may not be many of them in the Reprap forum.
Nice machine though..

June 17, 2014 08:09AM
To find makerbot owners you could browse thingiverse profiles. Take care about not talking to makerbots employees and you could get a fair return on experience.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Anonymous User
June 17, 2014 08:51AM
I like makerbots. Don't drink the koolaid.
June 17, 2014 11:21AM
I do not like makerbot, so perhaps i did had too much koolaid already.

Makerbot betrayed the community by becoming closed. Not to re-ignite the discussion, but what that means for a buyer is that if you do buy a replicator, then you will have a closed product, then you will be using their toolchain, their firmware, their support alone. E.g. you wont be using any firmware of your choice, because afaik pins definition may not be available as electronics is closed. In an closed electronics its not totally out of ordinary to find a uC fully encapsulated so you dont even see visually what's there. If you want to make any kind of changes or tweaks or to add any features, with a closed product you may hit a wall in those regards. So if you buy a replicator - you are on your own, average user locked-in for their overpriced stuff, additional features, options, upgrades, etc.

I would not buy that closed source machine because i like to tweak and customize things, i want to be able to add features myself, and do those easy and cheap. I like open source because its easy to change and debug. With a closed product any change of that kind is either potentially a nightmare or even just not possible.

And if you need support, nobody here *could* help you because nobody knows whats there. Even if somebody *could*, perhaps they *wouldnt* because makerbot left the open source area, and the way they behaved about it. I am speaking for myself, frankly even if i could help a user with mb i would *not* help him. And i guess that is the way others may feel too. Not that reprap support is all that great, but once you do figure out the firmware and the rest, making changes and tweaks is fairly easy, and it is even an opportunity to learn.
June 17, 2014 11:35AM
I don't love our 2x. It's decent when it works, but man it loves to jam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login