Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The most clear plastic out there?

Posted by JeromeM 
The most clear plastic out there?
June 19, 2014 06:29AM
Hi Guys,

I am about to try out overlaying 3DP shapes onto screens and illuminating them!

Is anyone able to tell me what is the most transparent 3DPable material out there to date? I can't spot much but I have a feeling I missed something..

Thanks in advance!

Jerome
RepRap Prusa Mendel with J-Head, input: 3mm, but could buy 1.75mm.
Re: The most clear plastic out there?
June 19, 2014 07:56AM
The most transparent i encountered so far is PET

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
June 19, 2014 08:46AM
Srek
The most transparent i encountered so far is PET

+1

But, with every layer you print, the object becomes less translucent. I advise printing it with full infill, or near-full infill to see if you can get that glassy-like transparency (it won't be quite like glass, but it's comes closest of all filaments).

I have noticed with my own prints that having 35% infill still makes an object not translucent, but more 'icy' as the light inside gets diffused heavily because it bounces through each and every string of printed filament.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
June 19, 2014 08:57AM
Speaking of; How does one print with 100% infill? Slic3r doesn't accept 100% infill in rectilennear.. Happy to try another .stl => gcode tool
June 19, 2014 10:04AM
With my silver filament that's quite clear, when I look at well printed layers they bond almost perfectly. It hardly happens like that, I have to tune right before the print. If I spray some clear cloat on it I can see right through all of the perimeters. I think with a clear filament, really find tuned printer, and some clear coat you can get what you want.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 19, 2014 12:19PM
JeromeM
Speaking of; How does one print with 100% infill? Slic3r doesn't accept 100% infill in rectilennear.. Happy to try another .stl => gcode tool

You should be able to. I know you cant with honeycomb pattern but rectilinear should work.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
June 19, 2014 12:49PM
Polycarbonate
Needs high extruder temperature.

confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login