Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ultimaker 2 or Makerbot 5th Gen?

Posted by CharlesDesign 
Ultimaker 2 or Makerbot 5th Gen?
June 21, 2014 06:28AM
Hi there,

I've placed an order for the Ultimaker 2 but I'm very tempted to go for the Makerbot 5th gen instead.
Specially after hearing all the issues with the extruder skipping and considering this trend report by 3D hubs:

On the other hand having built a few printers I like the fact that Ultimaker is still open source.

Anyone tried both printers?
Re: Ultimaker 2 or Makerbot 5th Gen?
June 21, 2014 07:52AM
That list simply outlines consumer satisfaction, not printer quality. I wouldn't use it as a means of comparison for anything.

I havent heard of ultimaker2's jamming.

I have heard of makerbots jamming. I've also heard that their 5th gen hotend is being modified to stop the jamming.

Go ask around on the G+ 3D printing community.

Check the makerbot operators group too. Thats always a fun read.

Personally, I think you've already made the right choice. I saw the u2 at makerfaire last year. The print quality was pretty awesome.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
June 21, 2014 09:33AM
What I wonder, lately there have been a lot of these kind of topics. First of all it's tiring, but second of all, these users always just ask a question, and then rarely come back.

Third, what do commercial companies have to do with Reprap? I completely understand someone is coming over here to ask for unbiased (which is impossible) or at least as objective as possible information about a brand. But most reprappers don't own a commercial printer, since they usually build their own, opensource, or even design their own printer.

Now, what I'm wondering about, and something I alone cannot do, is, how we can make some kind of topic that answers all these questions so people can just read about it instead of making a 'one day fly' account to ask if they should go for a Replicator 2 or some Ultimaker.

Nothing personal to you CharlesDesign, and I would go for an Ultimaker, just to not completely be offtopic.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
June 21, 2014 10:08AM
The customer satisfaction heavily relies on print quality.
Having said that the Ultimaker 2 has over 5 times the amount of reviews.

There's lot's of complaints on the UM forum, it seems like the extruder is failing at higher speeds.

I'll check out the MB group.
June 21, 2014 10:22AM
I've been on forum since I started 3D printing and it's been very use full.
You guessed it right, I am after an opinion other than the printers community forum, from experience there's a much deeper knowledge of printing on here.

But indeed a place where people can rate a printer based on their experience would be a good idea, especially as they're not so cheap.
June 21, 2014 11:33AM
Ohmarinus
What I wonder, lately there have been a lot of these kind of topics. First of all it's tiring, but second of all, these users always just ask a question, and then rarely come back.

Troll campaign by one or more banned members? The admins should put "Makerbot" onto the banned words list, which will both stop the hot-button troll item and protect everyone from possible trademark infringement suits for typing their name.

Note to the OP - T^HMakerbot is a dirty word around here, due to both their current patent crap and bad blood that pre-dates your (and my) memberships.....
June 21, 2014 11:56AM
Hello Ohmarinus, you expressed a valid concern, but I think it's unwarranted here, as Charles registered 2 months ago.

Charles, on the 3D printing G+ community, look for posts by whosamatsis, a well known RepRap contributor. He has pointed out numerous design flaws of the 5th gen Replicator.

BTW Makerbot is trying to patent his extruder design, which he posted on Thingiverse maybe two years ago...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2014 11:57AM by NormandC.
June 21, 2014 01:33PM
I've been on this forum for well over a year, just recently switched account.

Anyway it seems like the MB has it's problems too, plus I'd rather support a Dutch company so I'll stick with the UM2. smiling smiley
June 21, 2014 03:45PM
CharlesDesign
I've been on this forum for well over a year, just recently switched account.

Anyway it seems like the MB has it's problems too, plus I'd rather support a Dutch company so I'll stick with the UM2. smiling smiley

They're actually from Haarlem winking smiley at least, from what I understood, the creator.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2014 03:45PM by Ohmarinus.

June 21, 2014 03:56PM
While, I agree that most folks here build their own printers, I think most have seen in use or have access to commercial style printers via work, friends, or hangouts... So their opinions may be valid. But being Reprap.org... I say build one!
June 21, 2014 03:57PM
As far as I'm aware two of the founders are dutch and they're based in Burgemeester, Netherlands.

Where did you get that information from?
June 21, 2014 04:27PM
I've built two Repraps which was a great learning experience.
Being a product designer and using fdm printers on a daily basis, I'm after something a little more reliable and efficient.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2014 04:28PM by CharlesDesign.
June 21, 2014 06:53PM
CharlesDesign
As far as I'm aware two of the founders are dutch and they're based in Burgemeester, Netherlands.

Where did you get that information from?

"Ultimaker was set up by 3 young dutch guys from 3 different cities in the Netherlands, De Bruijn is from Tilburg, Elserman lives in Geldermalsen and Wijnia in Haarlem."

[www.3ders.org]

winking smiley

I've actually met Wijnia some time ago.

June 21, 2014 07:41PM
Ohmarinus

Third, what do commercial companies have to do with Reprap? I completely understand someone is coming over here to ask for unbiased (which is impossible) or at least as objective as possible information about a brand. But most reprappers don't own a commercial printer, since they usually build their own, opensource, or even design their own printer.

Now, what I'm wondering about, and something I alone cannot do, is, how we can make some kind of topic that answers all these questions so people can just read about it instead of making a 'one day fly' account to ask if they should go for a Replicator 2 or some Ultimaker.

The easy solution is to just not read or respond to threads that have topics for which you don't care. No one is being compelled to read or respond to any topic. I'd also disagree that is not possible to get an unbiased opinion here. There are plenty of them but many times crowd think and other viewpoints being ostracized creates a noise that drowns out other points of view. It's not specific Reprap or even Internet forums but part of human nature.

This is not specific to Charles' post but in general more are coming to the forum from searches about 3D printing. They don't know the specifics of what Reprap is about, many think it's a brand of machine. With Makerbot being arguably the most known consumer brand comparisons or questions are bound to come from those without the experience in the community. Banning the term serves no purpose as the community would lose the ability to present why building a Reprap might be advantageous for some (not all) compared to buying a Replicator or Mini. If one has the time and skills I think building a machine offers a much better value than buying a Replicator.

As for the OP, Ultimaker all the way. I saw them at Bay Area Maker Faire a couple months back and like the machine. I've said it in another post but were I to buy a completed machine it would be either a TAZ, Ultimaker or Type A Machine. The FFF/FDM process as implemented on any of these machines (Reprap, commercial, whatever) is mechanically basic and low tech and often times there are issues. There are also jamming issues with some Reprap style hotend designs as well. It's just part of the technology maturing and young companies getting a handle on the product.
June 21, 2014 08:07PM
it ultimately doesn't matter what we do there is always going to be these types of threads popping up ,
we also have to be very careful with banned words as they can have some dramatic knock on effects particularly on forums where multiple languages are used as the knock on effects can be huge and disruptive

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

June 22, 2014 07:08AM
thejollygrimreaper
it ultimately doesn't matter what we do there is always going to be these types of threads popping up ,
we also have to be very careful with banned words as they can have some dramatic knock on effects particularly on forums where multiple languages are used as the knock on effects can be huge and disruptive

Haha yes I remember being autobanned because 'oh' was in my nickname. Maybe had to do with this Ohioplastics thing that happened last year..

Maybe put some kind of message on the registration page?

September 18, 2014 02:21PM
Hi, I bought the Makerbot Replicator 5th. Gen, and had a lot of problems.

We placed the order in february and they said they will deliver at the end of the month, they sent it in april, the printer worked fine right out of the box, we started printing about 2 to 3 hours daily, just to learn how to use it, it worked for about 5 days, (10 to 15 hours total), the printer stopped working, it was a "Homing Error", we learned that this happens a lot, we opened a service case, after many e-mails and months, they told us that it was a problem with the Smart Extruder, they sent a new one but the printer didn't work, it's been 8 months since we bought the printer and it only worked for 15 hours, i'm returning the printer at my expense, they will receive the printer but they won't take the opened ABS spools.

The prining quality wasn't very good, we expected a better quality and faster printing, but i think it was ok for the purpose we wanted to use it.

We have had a very bad experience with Makerbot's custumer service, will not buy from Makerbot again, and we are looking for a new printer, maybe an Ultimaker 2, any comments or suggestions?

Have a nice day!!!
September 18, 2014 05:55PM
I would highly recommend the Ultimaker, the V2 had some growing pains I hear, but the original, is a printing beast. Just remember, every printer takes some messing with to get it running well and staying that way, even the Ultimaker.

As for the customer service... We had someone come to the local hackerspace with a Makerbot that had a jammed nozzle, and the story they relayed about customer support was really bad.
October 27, 2014 06:25PM
Did you end up buying the ultimately 2?
October 28, 2014 12:56PM
I would go with the Ultimaker 2. Check out Barnacules Nerdgasm. He prints some amazing things with his Ultimakers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login