Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Certificate of Replication

Posted by spacexula 
Certificate of Replication
February 25, 2010 12:37PM
I have a Suggestion that would bring traffic to RepRap.org, and bring all the RepRap/RepStrap community together a little bit more to make RepRap robots.

A. A Certificate of Replication, with 4 levels

Gold. RepRap to RepRap: (Darwin or Mendel, must be made of RP parts) used to Replicate another Darwin or Mendel, which is distrubuted to another person in another geographic area (can't give it to your brother, but you can sell it for as much as you want).

Silver RepStrap to RepRap: You used a RepStrap, whether it's Makerbot, BfB, or Mcwire to replicate a RepRap, which you again sold or gave to someone in another geographic region.

Bronze: You have assembled a RepRap or RepStrap. This can be a commercial kit, or peice built from the parts someone gave you.

Platinum. An award can be given to any person that modifies a Supported RepRap in such a fashion that is accepted by [www.rrrf.org], and added to the next iteration of The future or current REPRAP.

Platinum awards would have the signature of All members of RRRF and would be the hardest to get (shipping would be little expensive, but this would likely only be given out a few times a year, so you could just sign 10-20 at a shot and ship it around).

Gold & Silver would have Mr. Bowers signature, and would only be given out untill he got sick of signing them. So you better hurry up and replicate.

Bronze are signed by the person sold/gave you the RepRap/RepStrap parts.

Only costs for this idea is shipping and paper. I have a set of Mendel sitting on my desk I am willing to either sell and give RRRF the funds, or give the parts and let you sell them to make something like this happen.

Imagine on the front page of RepRap if we had a Tally board with All the members of RRRG, then all the Planum members, then gold... etc etc. Any person can have their photo up with Adrain and the rest of RRRF as pioneers of RepRap.

Imagine a letter, with the RepRap logo, given to all buyers of RepStrap, that invites them into the greater community from the very beginning, and chalenges them to spread the tech.

Simple facts keep us from replicating, it't time consuming, not fun, and really not profitable. But I personally would LOVE to have a nice, printed certificate with the RepRap logo, and Adrian's signature thanking me for replicating. Also I would would to have some form of offical recognition by RepRap org for replicating.

Between that and if I got a bronze with my BfB, or Makerbot kit, I would actually WANT to get the silver, Gold and Platinum certificates.

What do you say?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 12:41PM by spacexula.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
Re: Certificate of Replication
February 25, 2010 12:44PM
BTW RepRap.org needs a donate button BAD.

February 25, 2010 01:18PM
I like this idea. Are you considering a genuine signature from the core members, or simply a copied signature. The latter would certainly be a lot easier to do.

This seems like a simple thing, but praise is a very important thing to a lot of people. Even when many of us say "no no, I don't want to be recognized." I think we all enjoy praise of our successes.
February 25, 2010 01:29PM
Personally if it's some photo copied junk I wouldn't do ANYTHING to get it.

I got a memo thanking me for purchasing my Makerbot with the kit. It had all the Member's of Makerbot's signatures, and it was photocopied. Trashed with the packing information.

Now if they had been real signatures, it would have been in a frame beside my Makerbot.

February 25, 2010 01:43PM
Funny, I thought the same thing about the photocopied MakerBot letter. I kept it all the same, but if it had real signatures I would have framed it.

--
Tony Buser http://tonybuser.com * http://reprap.org/wiki/User:Tbuser#Projects
February 25, 2010 04:15PM
Getting printed work around to the 20 or so people world-wide would be a fairly expensive venture. Maybe if we printed out a full ream of certificates, and shipped them around, but we're talking about shipping around the world a couple dozen times, then the mailing of the actual certificates, presumably in a container that protects it. Spendy... Of course, maybe that's what spacexula's donate button will help with. smiling smiley
February 25, 2010 04:46PM
That would be the issue, but what I was sugjesting was ONLY the Platnium level would be signed by all. Basicly it would be the BIG award. VERY few people would get it.

The Gold would be the real driving award, and it would only need be printed and shipped from Adrian's office. All that would be is him having a stack of 200 pre signed and anding it off to someone who is willing to deal with the shipping, and they just send it off. Could even require the person receaving it to pay for shipping if you wanted.

Again I would pay $5 for shipping of a "Gold" certificate, and the call out of a website.

benbo
February 25, 2010 04:54PM
How much is that mendel going for?
February 25, 2010 05:00PM
BTW RepRap.org needs a donate button BAD.

I may be willing to coordinate and announce Kickstarters for the various working working groups after I take care of other duties.

Also, spacexula you proposed an auction/tender system a month ago. Rest assured that it's on volume 1 of my next actions list. smiling smiley

I think that we are better off saving postage and printing costs to ship Mendel parts around, and to fun local, countrywide, and global RUG meetups. gu And frankly, I'd rather engage you guys one at a time or celebrate your accomplishments on the blog and the wiki front page than sign form letters. grinning smiley

I favor using the RepRap wiki user home pages and forum sidebars for people to display their l33t RepRapper status.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
February 25, 2010 06:32PM
I think a plaque might be cooler than a certificate.
So why not have some reprap core team members sign their signatures on piece of paper, scan the paper in and turn the signatures into lifted text on a 3d printed plaque. Or why not get the signature data directly from a digital pen and turn it into G-code to run the machine? Increase the size if printing plastic or put a pen as the tool head to enable tele-signing.

Though if the core team agrees to sign for every replicated machine, they're going to be quite busy once RepRap gets to the steep part of the exponential. So signatures may not be such a good idea...
February 25, 2010 10:57PM
SebastienBailard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, spacexula you proposed an auction/tender
> system a month ago. Rest assured that it's on
> volume 1 of my next actions list. smiling smiley

Good to hear.

As usual, just throwing out ideas.

February 26, 2010 03:40AM
Though if the core team agrees to sign for every replicated machine, they're going to be quite busy once RepRap gets to the steep part of the exponential.d b

... Hmm? Why would we be busy - if you've a RepRap, you can print a plaque. smiling smiley

And honestly, I think the best use of machine time is to make robots, prosthetic legs, children's toys, engineering models, or possibly other RepRaps.

My signature is only going on a plaque if that plaque is self-replicating.

And if you design a self-replicating plaque,
a) I'll make space to show it off on the main blog and reprap homepage.
b) ... You should sign it.

Ditto, robots, prosthetic legs, etc.

I do need to make a sculpture of Mr. Bunny. Once I have it up on the wiki, I'd be honored if people print a copy to celebrate their new status as RepRap user-developers.

Also, I hear that rabbits are good at self-replicating. smiling smiley

Maybe a plaque with a bunny on it ...
February 26, 2010 05:44PM
2 silver please.

Does the half finished mendel count for a bronze?

tongue sticking out smiley
February 26, 2010 06:30PM
Ok how about we drop the signed certificates, and go to a Wall of Fame, with the same medal system?

So you have all the RRRF at the top, with links for blogs and Emails.

Then below that you have the Platinum contributors, links and emails, and as you go down the page Bronze is at the bottom.

It would be a nice call out for people who are contributing, and something fun to try to dig your way to the top with. (could even score people so the most prolific replicators would be at the top).

It's amazing how hard people will compete, even when the prize is very little, I broke my finger playing air hockey against a 8 year old, don't ask.

February 26, 2010 10:10PM
Wade gets at least a silver! smiling smiley
February 27, 2010 12:03AM
Rather than certificates, why not a family tree? Reprap genealogy might be easier and less expensive, and could let you see where your work is going as well as where it's come from, show where the developments kicked in, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2010 12:04AM by murd.
February 27, 2010 12:49AM
Ok. As a first step, we now have Wade and Jbayless indincating their RepRap-connection:

[objects.reprap.org]
[objects.reprap.org]

To do this properly, maybe we can code a Mediawiki Widgit:
[www.mediawikiwidgets.org]
which can track this stuff, and put a silver medal on Wade's page, and so on.

I do want to build lots of things into the RepRap user pages, like blogging, so maybe it will happen. I've got a lot of other work to do first.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 09, 2010 09:22AM
sircastor
I like this idea. Are you considering a genuine signature from the core members, or simply a copied signature. The latter would certainly be a lot easier to do.

Now there's an idea. Get a Mendal, except replace the steppers with rotary encoders. Replace the extruder with a pen. While watching and recording the encoders, grasp the pen and sign your name. replace the steppers and play back the sequence and you have an "auto-pen"
March 09, 2010 03:57PM
pica Wrote:
> Now there's an idea. Get a Mendal, except replace
> the steppers with rotary encoders. Replace the
> extruder with a pen. While watching and recording
> the encoders, grasp the pen and sign your name.
> replace the steppers and play back the sequence
> and you have an "auto-pen"

This is a good idea, I think we can accomplish it a little easier (perhaps not as fun though)

If you scan in a copy of your signature, and trace it with a vector drawing program, you can turn that information into gcode and reproduce it with a reprap.

Also, another idea that occurred to me would be to add your name to one of the printed objects in a set that you send off to someone else. Either your name, or your printer's name right on the piece.
March 09, 2010 10:15PM
sircastor Wrote:
> Also, another idea that occurred to me would be to
> add your name to one of the printed objects in a
> set that you send off to someone else. Either your
> name, or your printer's name right on the piece.

I think a part identification would be useful too. Thingiverse adds QR codes to the part pages, which can apparently embed URLs onto objects so that 3G phones can navigate from a photo, which is cool. A part that carries its own design and relationship to other parts in electronic form is very evolutionary-model. Stem-cell-like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2010 10:18PM by murd.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login