Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glue PLA to aluminium

Posted by martybee58 
Glue PLA to aluminium
June 23, 2014 08:06AM
Hi all, I have done a search and filtered down several pages but could nt find an answer. Does anybody have experience bonding PLA to aluminium? If so, what is the best adhesive? I'm only using the end product at room temperature.

Thanks in advance, Martin
Re: Glue PLA to aluminium
June 23, 2014 09:14AM
Normal superglue works fine with pla.

I have also tried some "evo-stik serious glue" - it has successfully stuck to everything I have tried very very permanently.
June 23, 2014 09:16AM
I've used a few different adhesives in a hope to find one that will truly bond strong, have yet to find one. But superglue, namely Loctite's gel, seems to work best. I would sand it a bit to give it a better surface to tack to.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 23, 2014 12:00PM
I used a epoxy resin glue aint budged

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 23, 2014 12:46PM
I think the long term aluminum vs plastic temperature expanding contracting might be a problem... Won't know till you try in your environment.

3M makes some impressive Automotive body panel glue...
June 23, 2014 01:35PM
I haven't tried PLA but 3M Scotch Weld will bond incredibly well to aluminum
We use it to bond polycarbonate canopy bubbles to aluminum skin and you can't break the bond. The plastic fails first. Also automotive 'panel bond' has similar performance to the scotch weld
June 23, 2014 06:02PM
I guess any 2-component glue will do the trick. Just be sure to read what kind of interactions the 2-component glue has with plastics.

3M Scotch Weld might also give a good result. I have only a little experience with that one, but I have glued a few different materials to Aluminium with it.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login