Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

newby needing help

Posted by demongimp 
newby needing help
June 26, 2014 02:02AM
Hey peps. So I have been trying to get my ramps working. I have uploaded marlin butnothin really happens. I have tried the m303 thing on the hot end and the red light comes on but the hot end never gets hot. Also my printer is i3 rework singel plate. Hot end is buds v2.0. Also having problems with my stepper motors. The drivers heat up a little but the motors dont move. Well one did but it was very very little..
Re: newby needing help
June 26, 2014 03:01AM
Basically you have given no information other than it doesn’t work...

how is anyone expected to help you?

Did you modify configuration.h to match your hardware?
Have you wired up a external power supply? if so what type and how much current? did you provide 12v to both the 5amp and 11amp plugs?
Do basic commands like m119 work? (endstop status, and if so do all your endstops work)
Have you checked you stepper motors are wired correctly? (two coils, coil 1 on pins 1 and 2, coil 2 on pins 3 and 4)
Have you tuned your vref?
Do your thermistors work and show room temp when heaters are off?

there something to start on...
Re: newbie needing help
June 26, 2014 05:22PM
I am sorry for not adding the right information that is needed to get the right help. It was late last night and I was a little frustrated. This is a whole new experience for me. Building a PC is one thing, but messing deep into firmware is very new. To give a little on what I have, mega 2560 board, with a ramp 1.4 on top of it. As far as stepper motors I have three that are model number JK42HM48-1684, and two that are Hybrid stepper on the Z axis, they are Casun type 42shd0001-24. My power supply is 100 watt atx psu ( had it laying around from old pc) that i have modified with better and thicker wire (14AWG). The power to the ramps is 12v rated at 30amp. I do have power to both the 11a and the 5a. Right now I don't have the ramps installed on the prusa though the structural part of the build is done. I was just trying to test out the electronics before I wired it all up and made it pretty. Basically I am doing this on my own, and have had no education as to what everything is even called. I just like to build, and I am good at it. What exactly is the vref, and how do you tune it? So far, I know enough to probably get me by, but really only what I have been able to reference online.

Thanksfor helping me out.
June 26, 2014 08:36PM
Vref is the control signal that tells the driver chip how much current to feed the stepper motor. You can adjust it with the trimpot on the driver boards, and you can measure it from the trimpot wiper. 0.4V is a good starting point. If you don't have a multimeter, it can be set by trial and error - turn the trimpot clockwise if the motors don't move, and anti-clockwise if the driver is overheating and cutting out. Depending on how much current you need to get your machine moving reliably, you might also need to point a fan at the drivers for extra cooling.
June 26, 2014 09:09PM
Ok< thanks for the info. I do have a fan amend at the ramps board. I will try that and also test the driver.
Anonymous User
June 26, 2014 10:36PM
Dust, don't belittle the newbies.
June 26, 2014 10:56PM
Thanks, But he was right. I'm used to posting on forums and should have left more information. Like I said it was late and things just were not going my way..
Anonymous User
June 26, 2014 11:15PM
I get it. Still, it's not that complicated. Half the people that figure out this stuff have aspergers syndrome and treat people like crap. Like a dozen or so people on this forum that I could name, but I wont.
June 27, 2014 05:18AM
goldenmongoose, Please mind your own business.

You registered 23 days ago and have 51 post, and seem very judgemental already.

I registered 3 years ago and have some 575 posts. Most of which are helping people.

Im at least trying to help.
June 27, 2014 05:46AM
demongimp, re your power supply

Check the current on the 12v lines. For steppers you need about 5amp. Should be written on the power supply label. It definitely not enough power for a heated build platform.

JK42HM48-1684 steppers look good, but you really need to find the coils. If you have a multi meter find out witch two wires are joined, thats a single coil. and make sure one coil is on pins 1 and 2 and the other coil is on pins 3 and 4. Ignore the color codes. they arent a standard between suppliers

The 42shd0001-24 may be a problem. They are 12v. and really high resistance.. these may not work

re vref see [reprap.org] for a lot more details. Now every different type of driver is different, make sure you using the right numbers for your hardware. It is recommended you dont use a metal screwdriver on these pots. if your slip you will kill you electronics. worse case shorting 12v onto 5v rail... everything dies. Use a ceramic screwdriver or turn off everything to make adjustments.

some gotchas.. the steppers will not move in a negative direction if it thinks the min endstop for that axis is triggered. Which is why I like to get the endstops working first thing. Be very careful not to short the + pin to the - pin on the endstop connector. Shorting this kills most boards.

Your firmware has to bet setup to match your board type, or all the pin definitions don’t match the hardware. Did you compile your own? or did it come pre programmed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 05:47AM by Dust.
Anonymous User
June 27, 2014 10:40AM
Mind my own business? This is a public forum dust. DUHst.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 11:35AM by goldenmongoose.
June 27, 2014 03:36PM
Dust,

I am compiling my own. I have sourced all the parts form different places. I have figured out the motor coils and are checking the end stops now. I have been reading that there are alot of people dealing with blow out problems when wiring them wrong.

AS far as myPSU the total max amp for all 6 rails is 80 amp, which should be enough, is that not enough.?

As for the 42shd0001-24 if they take more current can i just turn them up a little more on the driver, or will this cause thing to heat up faster. This set up is in my office/man cave..lol So the ambient temp is around 74, plus will have fans cooling the ramps.

My set up as far the firmware i am still working on. I changed something and i think it was not right, so i have deleted all software and am now looking at re-installing firmware and host software plus slicer software. I am taking a different approach this time by doing a little more reading on this part before i settle on the right one. The building part and wiring up was fun and no problem ( once i found the right way the motors wires needed to be), on a side note, I found that if you just pin them and push a led in two pins at a time then turn the motor if it lights up then you have a coil.

Thank for the help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 03:37PM by demongimp.
June 28, 2014 06:13AM
ello,

goldernmongoose !

I get it. Still, it's not that complicated. Half the people that figure out this stuff have aspergers syndrome and treat people like crap. Like a dozen or so people on this forum that I could name, but I wont.
what crap is that to write on a newbie's thread " if thats how you feel then maybe you should start you own thread.
June 28, 2014 06:16AM
demongimp
it maybe useful to post your config.h and pins .h files on github ,
June 29, 2014 02:28PM
I have a quick question. Would it be better to set for host software and others in linux or just keep it on windows. So you know I am using win 8.1. I have uninstalled the firm ware and host software, because I think I might have messed it up before. Now I have be looking around on what is and would be the best and easiest set for me, Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
June 29, 2014 10:55PM
Also is there another program I can use that does not use python? I seem to be having aproblem with it and its .dll file on windows 8.1
July 02, 2014 09:37PM
Ok, so I have a little news. I finial have been able to get my motor to work. Have almost everything installed on the prusa. I'm finishing up some wiring, to make it look a little better. Then starting getting some test prints going. I have also ran a successful hot end test for my settings and all went well there.smiling bouncing smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login