Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gluing parts together

Posted by foul_owl 
Gluing parts together
June 26, 2014 02:51PM
Hi folks,

I'm interested in trying to print large boxes with my reprap prusa i3. However, the box I want to make is larger than the 200x200x200 mm print volume. I was considering printing out all 8 corners, then gluing together the lower half and upper half of the boxes. However, I'm not sure how I would do the joints.

Is such a construction possible, or would it be too weak?

Has anyone done this before? Using ABS right now, but interested in PLA too.

Thanks!
Re: Gluing parts together
June 26, 2014 02:53PM
If you glue ABS with Aceton the connection is as strong, or stronger, as if it were printed in one piece.
In general Cyanacrylat (Superglue) is working very well with most printable harder plastics.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
June 27, 2014 12:45AM
With ABS acetone or cyanoacrylate should work fairly well, but for PLA pure acetone probably wont work at all (I havent gotten a chance to test the effects of acetone on PLA for myself yet so call it 90% certainty) cyanoacrylate will bond to PLA but it wont have the same effect or strength as it would on ABS mostly because it doesnt melt down PLA like it does ABS. You can use cyanoacrylate on PLA and get parts glued together but its going to be a purely mechanical bond, the glue will leave small white patches behind which if you had a tongue and groove that was a sliding fit with tight enough tolerances could probably be enough to turn it into a press fit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 06:52PM by JMoses.
June 27, 2014 01:45AM
ABS will not do anything to PLA

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
June 27, 2014 03:48AM
PLA loves hotglue, stuck enough parts together to know the two made for each other, after that 30min epoxy
June 27, 2014 08:50AM
IPS Weld-On Acrylic plastic cement.

Alternately, do a friction weld: [hackaday.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login