Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Greatest Leap in Slicing as of Late?

Posted by MrDoctorDIV 
Greatest Leap in Slicing as of Late?
July 02, 2014 10:52AM
So apparently Topolabs has thought of a simple concept and actually put work into it. That's how we move foward, right? Simplicity is my game, it's what innovates. Just a "matter" of thinking it up.
Rather than just 2D layers their software is creating 3D paths for stronger, more aesthetically pleasing prints. Something I've been waiting to happen, so this really harmonizes with me in all ways.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Re: Greatest Leap in Slicing as of Late?
July 02, 2014 11:09AM
While I have no problem with using commercial software I find the cloud-based subscription model really tedious. I want to be able to buy a copy and use offline, on a plane, etc... eye rolling smiley
July 02, 2014 05:52PM
ajayre
While I have no problem with using commercial software I find the cloud-based subscription model really tedious. I want to be able to buy a copy and use offline, on a plane, etc... eye rolling smiley

+1

I no longer give Adobe any money because of this very thing. I always upgraded my 4 programs from them every 2 years but never again now they have gone subscription. This Topolabs could have great software but if they only have a cloud subscription, I will never use it.
July 02, 2014 07:04PM
The only worry for me is that I am afraid that people with a cheapo Z-axis rod will be spending more time on replacing worn-out threaded rods.

Time to move on to acme rods or trapezoidal rods that are hardened and chromed.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
July 02, 2014 07:50PM
Ohmarinus
The only worry for me is that I am afraid that people with a cheapo Z-axis rod will be spending more time on replacing worn-out threaded rods.

Delta printers FTW..... smiling smiley
July 02, 2014 09:56PM
This is cool, especially interested in the 'riveting' of layers. Any idea as to how that would work?

One thing concerns me, though.

The 'land' at the bottom of the nozzle is a small flat area surrounding the nozzle orifice. This land is critical in forming the top surface of printed layers. If you print on a curved surface then you cannot take advantage of this. Your parts will come out with noodle-like extrusions that look bad on the top surface because either the land is digging in to partially molten plastic or not providing a solid ceiling for the extrudate. Indeed this is what you see if you look at their print pics. You really need a 5-D printer (instead of 3D) to make this non-planar building really useful.
July 03, 2014 02:39AM
This software was talked about in a thread some months ago wasn't it?

July 03, 2014 03:56AM
vreihen
Ohmarinus

Delta printers FTW..... smiling smiley

Okay okay, but they don't use a Delta in their example video right winking smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
July 03, 2014 08:55AM
As to actual current use, not sure. But it is a change of pace in software development, where I've seen people developing higher axis printers but they always stop at the lack of software to drive it. I'm not saying what they have right now will innovate everything we know, but I see that there is finally some development on the software side that could open doors for higher axis printers.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login