Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gears for RepRap in .STL

Posted by Richard 
Gears for RepRap in .STL
July 22, 2007 04:45PM
Hi All:
I would really prefer to generate an .stl gear for the stepper motors and 4 pulleys for the Z axes rather than going the friendly (CAPRO) plastics direction. If anyone here who has built the parts could pass along the dimensions such as number of teeth for both gear and pulley, finished Diameter of both I would really appreciate it. Once finished I would post the finished .stl files to reprap. I understand that both use the 6mm width and 2.5mm teeth spacing.
Re: Gears for RepRap in .STL
July 23, 2007 12:58PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I've been using MXL belt size pulleys (google or mcmaster for more info)

the Z pulley size doesnt matter much so long as they are all the same size, but the X and Y need to be small (basically just a bit bigger than the 8mm rod they fit on.) i'm using this pulley from mcmaster on the X and Y: 1375K29

it needs to be drilled out a bit, but it definitely works. there are also what appear to be gear blanks in the sourceforge download of the cartesian bot under the 'gear molds', already in STL format.
July 23, 2007 07:18PM
Thanks Zack, I'll check out Mcmaster, that should save the hassel of fabricating with Capro, it's a good idea if your in a bind.
July 24, 2007 12:13PM
I think I can get STL files of most major mechanical parts from the current manufacturers. They'd need to be modified as most are aluminum or steel, but they can help with correct tooth profile for specific belt types.

These have STEP formats available

[www.partcommunity.com]

[www.thomasnet.com]

I know I have one somewhere that has STL files, I'll have to dig a bit more
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login