Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[[MotorFAQ]] wiki page about stepper motors

Posted by anton 
[[MotorFAQ]] wiki page about stepper motors
March 08, 2010 09:11AM
Since starting to learn about the project, I've had to learn a few things, amongst others about stepper motors and drivers.

I've tried to summarize what I have learned into a kind of FAQ page about stepper motors as they relate to Reprap.

I'd like to ask for help about:
1) Is such a page needed, if not, it's ok to delete it
2) Is the information accurate?
3) Is there information which needs to be added or removed.
4) Language, I try to write as perfectly as possible, but I'm not a native English speaker, so my phrasing will probably have to be improved.

The hope is that more pages like this will be added slowly over time, so a lot of the frustrations about finding introductory information I had in the first couple of weeks can be lessened for others.
I've thought why not build a stepper motor directly? There is a project called repolalab where the build platform is a huge disk. Couldn't it be possible to recreate the prinicipals of traditional stepper motors here?

E.g. to put small magnets or iron (screws/bolts/nuts) in the disk at every 10° and on the other side 4 selfmade electromagnets? Not very complex.

I think the idea has some appeal.
Re: [[MotorFAQ]] wiki page about stepper motors
March 08, 2010 02:51PM
Great idea!

I agree with your sentiment. Understanding the concepts in this article is 2/3 of the battle with robotics.

I went ahead and added some stuff about stepper drivers vs. controllers because that distinction took me a long time to understand/understand that it exists so that I need to learn about it.
March 08, 2010 06:09PM
I threw in a few things while someone else was editing too. I like the Wikipedia diagram, it makes it seem at little more possible to build one.

Mike

Team Open Air
Blog Team Open Air
rocket scientists think LIGHTYEARS outside the box!
March 08, 2010 06:30PM
just a note: "servo" refers to any motion system with closed loop feedback, regardless of the type of motor, gearing or feedback.

You may wish to refer to hobby servos or rc servos, which are the dc motor, gearbox, feedback with included electronics that you refer to.

also: overuse of apostrophes! an apostrophe denotes ownership or skipped letters, so things like "Stepper motor's do not offer as much torque..." don't make any sense- the stepper motor's what don't offer torque? the stepper motors themselves? no ownership, no skipped letters, no apostrophe.

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login