Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Microstep driver

Posted by Haitout 
Microstep driver
July 20, 2014 02:09AM
Hello,

i'm new to 3d printing and i'm trying to build a prusa i3 ,i had some problemes finding a a4988 stepper motor driver on local stores, so im considering using a CNC microstep driver like this one

on my ramps 1.4 , so is it possible , and if so what are the complications of using a such a driver ?
Re: Microstep driver
July 20, 2014 02:33AM
I suspect almost everyone building a printer gets the a4988 drivers by mail order.
Here are some inexpensive ones with free shipping:
[www.dx.com]
July 20, 2014 02:41AM
i have some problems shipping theme to morocco sad smiley and i already bought some of those
July 20, 2014 12:39PM
We are lucky to have access to a wide selection of stepper drivers like that at work.
We have had great luck with most of the drives we used, but not the Leadshine drives.

We believed the pulse width coming from Marlin/ramps was too short and the Leadshine drive treated it as noise and ignored all step/dir commands. We looked into adding a delay or lengthening of the step/dir commands in Marlin, but we moved on as we had other options.
July 20, 2014 03:31PM
Repetier has an option to set the pulse width for the firmware I believe.
Most firmware just toggle the line high low for a step,and the 4988 etc don't care, most larger drivers require a minimum pulse width, and possibly harder to guarantee a minimum time between a dir change and the first pulse being sent.

My blog [3dprinterhell.blogspot.com]
July 21, 2014 05:45AM
Teacup has longer step pulses as well. It's trivial to implement, in case you want to enhance Marlin.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 22, 2014 01:06PM
i'm going to try and upload teacop firmware.

i also have another problem with the pc power sublly , once i connect it with ramps it goes down (i have checked and there's no short circuit ).
July 23, 2014 04:08PM
If you immediately produce a high load, it could be related to this: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 24, 2014 08:46AM
i have this power supply working on another 3D printer, i have also tried a non PC power subbly ,and i tried another ATX PC power supply with a base load connected and still nothing just the same problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login