Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introduction/FAQ [[General_FAQ]]

Posted by anton 
Introduction/FAQ [[General_FAQ]]
March 11, 2010 10:26AM
When I first started out with this project a couple of months ago, I had some serious problems getting to understand it.

On a high level I had Adrians video explaining the vision, and then a bewildering amount of detail, some hidden in the wiki (I'm still not certain I fully understand that structure, I know there are two different wiki's but I have a dev** of a time, figuring out what goes where) some in blogs, some inside forum articles. I had a hard time tying everything together into a greater picture, more detailed than Adrians vision, less detailed that the individual blogs.

Now that I'm starting to get a picture of how everything fits together, I thought it would be a good idea to help other newcomers. I've started writing some introductions/FAQs (I don't know if I should call it introduction or FAQ). I started with the motor faq, and although there is some room for improvement, thanks to all the people who took part in the effort I believe the basics are in there,

I've started to write a new page, which is of a more general nature, but again tries to explain some of the things I had difficulties understanding, the page isn't complete yet, but I would happy for any feedback I can get, things I'm missing, things that could be improved, etc.
Re: Introduction/FAQ [[General_FAQ]]
March 11, 2010 01:20PM
I tried to contribute as best I could but I'm not at the top of my game right now.

I thing there should be overview/roadmap of the various blog trackers, vs. forums, vs. wikis. Don't have time to put it in right now.
March 13, 2010 04:26AM
I'm having a bit of an argument with myself, related to the scope of this page, in particular with how much to emphasize other projects and machines, like RapMan, CupCake, MakerBot, BfB, Shapercube and friends.

Personally I would prefer the page to be 100% on the RepRap machines, but given the scarcity of parts, some discussions of other means seems to be in order.

I'm not really sure where the line should be drawn, any suggestions?
March 13, 2010 04:51AM
Honesty is the best policy for this kind of thing, what you wrote is fine.

I added "Feel free to buy one, but if your first machine is a derivative commercial machine, consider making your next machine a RepRap!" (And making and selling/sharing RepRap parts.)

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 19, 2010 08:52PM
great job!

I myself am planning a mini-Mendel inspired repstrap, and as I have to do a bit more work than just bolting things together.

A document that explains all the approaches taken (like the section on different designs of extruder) is enormously helpful to keep from either reinventing the wheel or reading through elevendy thousand threads and blog posts

I originally was going to go with a screw drive, but later stumbled upon the fact that my bot would be quite slow. That sure took a lot of reading.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login