Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about using purple glue stick

Posted by tmorris9 
Question about using purple glue stick
August 09, 2014 01:09AM
So, I got my self some jumbo purple glue sticks to try since I hear about it so much. It worked well, my thin walled item stayed stuck perfectly without a brim and was easy to remove once cold. So, what do you do between prints? Do I need to clean it off? Or add more? Or what? It left white marks where the print was, will the next print stick in those spots?

I know with ABS juice I just wipe it with new juice every few prints.

Thanks!
Re: Question about using purple glue stick
August 09, 2014 05:11AM
I put another quick coat where the last print was stuck before printing the next thing. When it seems like it's built up too much, then I use a putty knife to scrape it mostly off the glass then start over. It washes off very easily too under water if you want to completely clean the plate. But I kind of like leaving a little bit of residue there after scraping before applying a new coat.

I have been printing exclusively ABS and it works very well.
August 09, 2014 08:54AM
I used to use nothing but purple glue sticks but the only thing I dont like is if you dont put the glue on evenly then your first layer gets a bit out of whack.
Instead I now use hair spray and get the same wonderful hold on my prints and the layers of spray are thinner and more even resulting in great looking first layers.
August 10, 2014 02:44AM
I used hairspray at first and actually liked it. But when I went to print my first sort of large item, I had an issue with warping. I did a combination of things to fix that including switching to the glue sticks. I can't say for sure that the hairspray was a problem, but haven't gone back to it. It's true the glue stick tends to be more uneven but I think it actually helps the first layer to get smooshed onto the glass a bit more. The unevenness smooths out after a couple layers and I haven't seen any issues in the final print.
August 10, 2014 03:02AM
I tried hairspray. I could not find the one recommended exactly but had the same said important ingredients. First off it did not stick as well as ABS juice. Second I had to leave the house as the smell made me choke and gag. I had to wait an hour to come back inside. I am allergic to some perfumes and air fresheners.
August 10, 2014 04:17PM
I use Garnier Fructis styles Extreme control number 5!
August 10, 2014 06:09PM
The white marks are fine, you can keep re-using it.
You can also just apply more, scrape it off and start fresh, or use a wet towel to make it smooth again.

I found the plain white Elmer's hold better than the purple.

I use hairspray with a heated bed, it lasts longer and is easy to apply. On cold beds, I prefer Elmer's glue sticks. A bit messy sometimes, but it cleans up easily and is less hassle and cheaper than constantly dealing with blue painters tape.
August 12, 2014 03:01PM
I usually get at least a couple of dozen prints off of an application of glue stick and end up redoing it because I'm not very careful about scraping it or touching it, not because it "wears out".
August 12, 2014 05:52PM
So far so good. No warping off the glass yet.

What did and I think it works is I used the initial application very smooth and even. I ran around 6 prints and I could see a very slight height difference where the glue had been used up, so I did a quick swipe of more glue over those areas then used a damp paper towel to wipe over the whole surface to level it all out. Seems to be working well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login