Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

QU-BD One Up Review

Posted by vulcanrd 
QU-BD One Up Review
August 10, 2014 05:09AM
I hadn't seen any real reviews on this so I thought I would do a quick one as I had received my Kickstarter reward and have had some time to play with it.

I know that the printer is not a true RepRap but it is open-source and the components in the kit could be used for other things *hint hint* smiling smiley

It was delivered about 2 months later than expected but I think that is the norm for Kickstarter haha. I feel sorry for the Buccaneer people!

The printer took about 4 hours to assemble which I thought was pretty good considering the Printrbot Simple that I have took a lot longer. I also see the Simple as a direct competitor so much of the comparison is to that. The frame material has a plastic coating on it so it looks a little more finished than the Printrbot, although the laser charred edge does need to be wiped off otherwise it will get everywhere during assembly. The instructions are not the greatest but it is illustrated in a way where I had no trouble getting it together. The linear motion components all seemed to be much higher quality than the Printrbot. The linear shafts are obviously chromed and hardened instead of drill rod and they actually used real timing belts instead of fishing line for motion control. The ACME Z screw is only on one side like the Printrbot which didn't thrill me and did show a little z-wobble during prints but nothing too bad that a shaft coupler wouldn't fix. The printer is quiet when printing and is relatively fast compared to some other ones that I have tested (I print at 50mm/s). I haven't had any real issues with the printer as of yet, except a couple damaged pieces that happened during shipped that were replaced by QU-BD in about a week. Overall I am very happy with the printer and I would recommend it over a Printrbot Simple as it is roughly equivalent except everything seems to be a bit higher quality AND its cheaper.

*Note if you need hand holding the customer support can be a bit slow so I recommend going to their forum.

I think the best thing about it is that the components can be used to build your own machine and if they were purchased separately would cost more than the asking price.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login