Printing Material Suppliers on the wiki
March 22, 2010 01:09AM
Got a wiki account? Know about a decent supplier for printing materials (filament, paste, powder, granules, etc), then feel free to document them at the following wiki page:

Printing Material Suppliers

I just revised this page and organised it a bit (well, a table), and if we get some more content, then perhaps we can organise it all a bit better.

Info needed: Name/URL for the business, and the materials they sell. If you know the approx price (per whatever), and which country they are in, that's useful to know as well.

If you're unsure what to do to add a supplier, add it to the discussion page or reply here if you don't have a wiki account, and someone (most likely me) will update it.

--
Cef
Re: Printing Material Suppliers on the wiki
March 24, 2010 01:26AM
someone should probably add these guys:
[www.plasticweldingrod.com]
from the wiki page on ABS
[objects.reprap.org]
March 24, 2010 05:21AM
Someone got there first and added it, but forgot the link to their web page.

Would be good if we could get some other types of material on the page too. winking smiley

--
Cef
March 24, 2010 05:46AM
Thanks Cefiar!

I tweaked it to make the plastics types wiki pages.

Anyone want to have a go at these pages:
[reprap.org]

[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]

And create/update them? (How to use them successfully, warnings, pros/cons, other notes?)

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 24, 2010 06:47AM
Ta Sebastien. Good work!

FWIW: I think we need to put up some basic facts about each plastic on each wiki page. Deciding what facts to put up (ie: deciding which facts are useful to know, from not only a RepRapping perspective, but from a deployed object use perspective) is probably the hardest part, as the rest is just data entry and fact finding.

eg: Common acronym, melting point, glass transition temp, continuous service temp (in air), etc.

Given we're using Mediawiki, we could probably arrange a template for the basic data. This way, the pages for each plastic will look similar when it comes to presentation.

--
Cef
March 24, 2010 12:54PM
Sebastian,
I could not figure out how to edit the main page. How about a comparison table page? Quick look at physical properties (as we find them!), extruder temperature, hot bed temp, costs, environmental impacts, etc?

Here are some references I found yesterday looking up info for the PLA vs ABS debate.

PLA copmared to PETE (polyethelene)

comparison table of plastics for machinists

environmental impacts of packaging with plastics compare to glass and aluminum

nylon physical properies

Mike
March 24, 2010 02:14PM
The front page of the wiki is locked down (as is the case for most wikis):

You should be able to edit:
[reprap.org]
and the other pages without difficulty.

Add new pages to the Category:Thermoplastic page by adding this to the bottom of said page:
[[Category:Thermoplastic]]

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login