Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fume Extractor

Posted by foul_owl 
Fume Extractor
September 02, 2014 01:03AM
Hi folks,

Looking for an off-the-shelf fume extraction solution. I can't deal with these ABS fumes anymore. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks!!
Re: Fume Extractor
September 02, 2014 01:19AM
What is your printer setup enclosed or open and how close is the nearest window?

Thanks Mike
September 02, 2014 01:26AM
Would something like A window fan work or do you need something like a Exaust fan

thanks Mike
September 02, 2014 01:32PM
I have found a big difference in ABS quality. I have now given up on black because of all the regrinds they put in it. The smell was awful. I can't find a good black.

Don't buy too cheap would be my advice. I now only use Jet ABS from Amazon.

My printer is in the living room and there is zero smell at 230 deg C. No fume extraction, windows closed but door open. I have used yellow/green/blue/red and white filament so far. No. I don't own shares in them.
September 02, 2014 03:12PM
charcoal filter with fans on it to actively scrub the air. I use one on my printer, in its heated build chamber. I can't smell a thing when it is printing.
September 02, 2014 06:36PM
No windows that open. The printer is a unenclosed prusa i3, but I am currently designing an enclosure for it.

I keep the printer in its own room with the door closed.

I definitely want a fume extractor. What's a good charcoal filter with fan + built in extraction hose?
September 02, 2014 07:03PM
Charcoal filter can be made with just fishtank charcoal (activated charcoal) that is placed in a can or a box with foam on one side and a fan on the other. The fan(s) pump or pull air through the charcoal. I made mine out of wood with foam on both sides and two corsair dual fans that pull air through it. There are also downloadable versions on thingiverse.

This reprap has a nice filter stl file [github.com] [kuehlingkuehling.de]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2014 07:18PM by Wildcard.
September 03, 2014 05:10AM
In order to strengthen your conviction, here is a little 2 pages synthesis I made for my service, on the toxicity of ABS and PLA printing. Both printing conditions and burning cases are considered, for misuse or incidental issues . It's in french, but the google translator make a good enough translation.
Attachments:
open | download - Toxicité de l'impression 3D.pdf (131.7 KB)
September 03, 2014 08:04AM
Thanks Miertam....i agree with you
September 03, 2014 09:58AM
A out of the box solution [www.hakko.com] not cheap but 3 stage filtering.
September 03, 2014 10:27AM
Step #1 get a large packing box
Step#2 put box over printer.
Step#3 install fan and add ducting and pump the air outside.

The box also makes for printing perfect abs. It keeps heat in.
September 03, 2014 10:30AM
How about a domestic cooker hood.
Some are designed to be without an outside vent.

Gordon
September 03, 2014 03:57PM
$600 is a small price to pay to avoid getting cancer.
September 03, 2014 07:05PM
any filter and chamber to keep fumes out of the air is a small price to pay for cancer.
September 04, 2014 12:56PM
PETG doesn't smell :-)
September 04, 2014 01:19PM
PETG is expensive
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login