Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help finding good CAD Software

Posted by Morpheus 
Help finding good CAD Software
March 22, 2010 07:56PM
Okay, I'm new, but I just got my BfB Rapman. I want to start designing stuff while I wait for it to get here, but I've tried all of the CAD things listed in the wiki under software, and I don't get any of them. I'm familiar with sketchup, as well as Autocad Mechanical, but I can't get skeinforge to take either format (or any at all really.) Assume I know nothing. Please help me get software and stuff from the ground up.
Re: Help finding good CAD Software
March 22, 2010 09:01PM
Skeinforge, just like all the other slice/dice/print stuff including the official java host, expects a STL file.

Most design software will have an option to export a STL file, it's a very common format. There exists a free plugin for STL export from google sketchup. Some free versions of full CAD packages omit that feature.

Skeinforge doesn't have rotation support - the orientation that the STL is exported it in is the way it'll print. Note that the STL format doesn't specify dimensions, and skeinforge doesn't support scaling the model last I heard, so you may need to double check that it's exported in mm. The java host does support scaling and rotation, last I heard anyway.

There's been some discussion of supporting other file formats, mostly because the STL format stinks. I don't know how much of that's working yet, and STL is more compatible.

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
March 22, 2010 09:15PM
Alibre.com has some good CAD software - I liked it well enough to buy the cheap version, but they have a free version as well that's pretty good. It's more for mechanical engineering types, but it does the job.

Blender is my next favourite, but it's more of a mesh modeller than an actual CAD package.

AOI is similar to Blender, but crashes too much for my tastes.

Openscad is a modeller for programmers - I think it's not bad, used it a couple of times, but it's the wrong paradigm for the way I think about designing. It works well for some folks though, judging by the things I see on Thingiverse.

The most important thing is to find something you're comfortable designing with.

Wade
March 23, 2010 06:13AM
Yeah, I checked for free STL plugins on google. They say I need to have pro. Any CAD stuff works, as long as it can save or export as an STL, right?
March 23, 2010 09:03AM
HeeksCAD, freeCAD, NaroCAD and CAD Exchanger will convert IGES and STEP files to STL, if your CAD program doesn't do STL directly.
March 24, 2010 07:29PM
I really recommend openSCAD. I am not a programmer and started messing around in it a few days ago and it's very intuitive to me - instead of actually 'drawing' an object, you describe it as the shapes that make it. The only tough part is hat the documentation is a little weak. The tutorial on iheartrobotics.com ( [www.iheartrobotics.com] ) is really helpful, and so is the wikibook openSCAD manual ( [en.wikibooks.org] ).
March 25, 2010 04:48PM
No, I tried OpenScad. But I got my CAD teacher to land me an educational version of AutoCAD Inventor, which can export the STL's. w00T!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login