Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feed Issues with filament from New Image Plastics

Posted by stonedcoldskier 
Feed Issues with filament from New Image Plastics
September 02, 2014 09:59PM
Has anyone else ever used their ABS? I ordered 10lbs of 3mm black ABS from them this spring and have just begun to use it. The filament has a very slick, almost oily feel to it but doesn't seem to leave any residue behind on my fingers. It's also very frangible when faced with the hobbed bolts in 2 different Wade's extruders with J-head hotends. It seems to be soft, rather than brittle, but it shreds very easily and I have yet to finish a print. I have used it in 2 different printers which are both very well tuned and have had no issues with other filaments. Any suggestions before I contact the company and fish for a return/exchange?
Re: Feed Issues with filament from New Image Plastics
September 03, 2014 01:28AM
i had similar problem with abs filament from filament4less, there was too much water in it. i bought 500g of desiccant from my hardware store and stored my abs with it in a sealed container. It took a week before i could finish a print.
September 03, 2014 10:31AM
If it is moisture. You could put on a bee of rice. Or put rice in the box with the spool.
Dry ofcoarse. It will get rid of the moisture
September 03, 2014 09:17PM
I actually have a food dehydrator that I have used for nylon. I've printed miles of ABS and never had a moisture issue, so it never occurred to me to try it. No reason not to give it a shot... Thanks!
September 04, 2014 09:58AM
just currious...has anyone tried vacuum to remove moisture???
September 04, 2014 11:43AM
I've gone through several 10 lbs spools from NIP with zero issues due to the filament. I print NIP 3mm ABS at 230C with MK V jhead.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
September 05, 2014 06:51AM
cwbethel
just currious...has anyone tried vacuum to remove moisture???

Werner Berry has a video on YouTube where he converted a Harbor Freight paint spraying tank into a vacuum chamber for drying/storing filament. I have never had to dry filament, but the food dehydrator option seems to be the cheapest option so far.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login