Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sketch up, make it x long.

Posted by UkIan 
Sketch up, make it x long.
September 07, 2014 04:10PM
Sketch Up is currently my new most hated bit of software. I want to draw a rectangle that is 10mm long and 20mm wide. I would then like to change it to be 30mm by 40mm wide. In every other package I've used there is a nice little tool window somewhere that lets you edit these properties. There appears to be a measurments toolbar, but afaict it isn't read write, but read only (The web says otherwise, I say BS to this).

So is there any way to just tell a rectangle (or any vertex) to be x mm long?
Re: Sketch up, make it x long.
September 07, 2014 04:53PM
When you draw a line, simply click once [don't hold, single click at start] move in the direction you want it to go, type numbers, enter.
Same applies to tools with measureable movements, like move, pull, rotate, scale, etc. Use the move tool and make sure you have nothing selected, click once on the line you want to move [make sure it's the whole line and not the corner that is selected] move in the direction you want to move, type the distance you want to move, and hit enter.

My only hate of Sketchup is it's lack of real power. It automatically, and uncontrollably cleans things up by attaching them in places you don't want. It's not the best at working small or high poly. I do like it's simplicity and ease of non-artistic drawing, and ability to be precise to a certain degree in a controllable manner.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
September 07, 2014 04:54PM
If you want to make things in a more powerful and still free program, try Blender. As far as I know, it's the most powerful 3D modeling, animation, and game making open-source software available.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
September 07, 2014 05:31PM
Ah thanks, that seems to work smiling smiley Actually I've got Blender, FreeCad and Sketch up installed and I've been working through them. SketchUp I thought I should try because it's supposed to be so super easy, but as with everything, super easy means partially moronic. Blender looks really positive. I've got a book about using Blender for 3d printing, there's a lot of complicated stuff in there.

So far the only thing I've generated a model with that has then been printed is FreeCad and even that seemed determined to prevent me from creating the simple measured out shape I wanted to.

I think the future will all be Blender and FreeCad for me.
September 07, 2014 06:02PM
I just use openscad. It is ideal for my needs.
September 08, 2014 10:59PM
UkIan
So far the only thing I've generated a model with that has then been printed is FreeCad and even that seemed determined to prevent me from creating the simple measured out shape I wanted to.

I think the future will all be Blender and FreeCad for me.

Uklan, don't hesitate to ask FreeCAD-related questions, I think the 3D Design tools forum would be more suited to such topics.

But THE place to get help and to get going on FreeCAD is the FreeCAD forum. We are a small but very active community, with forum regulars on 3 continents so replies to questions are usually pretty quick (sometimes in minutes).

Even if FreeCAD is not as feature-rich or as polished as commercial CAD software, you can model very complex parts with it. It certainly has a steeper learning curve than Sketchup, but well worth it IMHO.
Of course I'm rather biased. winking smiley
September 09, 2014 02:20AM
I like freeCad, it doesn't have to be as feature rich as the pro software, it just needs the fundamentals, and from what I've seen it supports the operations I want smiling smiley
September 09, 2014 05:18PM
Ralph.Hilton
I just use openscad. It is ideal for my needs.

I've been reading a tutorial and it's not as intimidating as I first though. I can actually see it being a viable way of creating fairly complex shapes, even for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login