Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

5 axis desktop machine Kickstarter

Posted by 5AXISMAKER 
5 axis desktop machine Kickstarter
September 20, 2014 05:38PM
Hi everyone,
We have been working on a 5 axis desktop machine with a large working volume and capability to use different tool heads: from milling spindle to 3d printing head to touch probe.

We are launching a Kickstarter campaign on September 22nd to fund the last stage of development.
If you are interested in this project please take a look at our video and website.

This machine uses Mach3 controller and we are developing a CAM script in Grasshopper that works on Rhino. The script is free and open source you can download current version (Its a very early versions and we will continue developing it and adding features as the project progresses) from our website ( you need both Rhino3d and Grasshopper to run it ).

We would appreciate any comments or questions from the community.
Attachments:
open | download - 5AXISMAKERsmall.jpg (260.3 KB)
open | download - 5AXISMAKER g-code generator small2.jpg (340.5 KB)
Re: 5 axis desktop machine Kickstarter
September 21, 2014 12:36AM
This is an awesome project and I wish you the best. From what I understand though the biggest limitation in 5-axis CNC machining is software and g-code creation. Your script may be free and open source but if you need Grasshopper and Rhino to use it you are really limiting your user base. Is there any way you could use the code from some FOSS slicers to create stand alone software to generate g-code for 5-axis?

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
Re: 5 axis desktop machine Kickstarter
September 21, 2014 07:33AM
Jzatopa, thank you for your comment.
There is a trial version of Rhino that will not save files but will run Grasshopper (and Grasshopper is free) so it could be possible to import files in to Rhine just to create tool-path and g--code from it.

I realise that this is a very crude way to work but these are the resources I could use at the moment. My ambition is if I get enough funding from Kickstarter to create an affordable 5axis standalone CAM software to complemet my machines.

But at least I hope that an introduction of 5axis desktop machines could start development of free or affordable software within the community. I really feel that 5 axis machines are the next logical step in the future of desktop fabrication.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 07:36AM by 5AXISMAKER.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login