Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how to straighten round steel bar

Posted by UkIan 
how to straighten round steel bar
September 26, 2014 07:12AM
Assuming I don't have access to a full shop, or half full brain, and I've some 8mm steel round bar that is straight but possibly could be straighter, what is the best approach to getting it straight?

My approach would be to roll it along a flat surface, see if I can figure out where it isn't straight and then gently flex it over the edge of a table and hope for the best. Was hoping there was a clever shop trick to it that I'm not party to smiling smiley
Re: how to straighten round steel bar
September 26, 2014 08:00AM
how long is it?

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

September 26, 2014 08:06AM
2000mm at the moment, to be chopped into 300-500mm for use.
September 26, 2014 08:18AM
in the past i have straightend sections of round steel by heating it up and rolling it betwen two bits of plywood, however i think 2000m is a bit long for that , might be easier to buy a new section

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

September 26, 2014 03:06PM
Yeah, it's actually fine, it's just one of those things I don't know how to do properly smiling smiley
September 28, 2014 09:50PM
You wont find any bars in that length that are truly straight. Once you chop it into sections the individual sections will be pretty straight. And if their off a hair just bend as see fit.
September 29, 2014 04:15AM
Fair enough, I can work with that smiling smiley
October 01, 2014 03:54PM
You could mount the rod in a lathe and use a dial gauge to measure how out of true it is, just rotating it by hand of course.

2 metres is too long to manage, but cutting it into smaller lengths first is do-able, depending on how big the lathe is.

Correcting a bend in the rod could be done by applying heat using a gas torch and then several taps with a heavy hammer. The surface of the rod would need protecting; or alternatively use a soft faced hammer.
October 01, 2014 04:22PM
Yep, I'd cut it to size first, it just came in 2m lengths. Actually 3m was significantly cheaper, but I figured it was more likely to have bent in transit plus I'd have to bring it home on the train...

It actually arrived affixed to a length of wood, so was very well protected and pretty straight smiling smiley

I don't have a lathe, but I have a drill press, and I imagine I can do the same in that smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login