Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie here with some curiosity

Posted by Haswell 
Newbie here with some curiosity
September 29, 2014 09:43PM
Hi guys. I think I want a 3d printer. The ease of printing stuff on demand seems pretty cool. The only problem is I am a broke college kid. I was thinking that if I bought a printer I may be able to sell some printed things to recoup some of the cost. Do any of you have experience with this? Is there a big market for custom printed parts? This is really the only thing holding back. I don't plan to turn it into a business venture, just something to support my hobby. Thank you for your help!
Re: Newbie here with some curiosity
September 29, 2014 10:20PM
The printer is just a tool. You can earn a living with a welder if you are good at welding, know what you can make and sell, and have an audience that is willing to pay for the items you create. 3D printers are the same. Don't assume you can just click a button and make money. You need to know what people want and have the ability to make it.

I do this, I have a product (sorry not going to give it away here) that I make and sell. It paid for my first printer ($1,700) and is paying in part for my second printer. It's a part I designed myself as I felt there was a need. Mine is better designed than anything like it. I am still struggling to find the next item I want to build and sell. I thought about making things like GoPro tripod mounts (I designed a very good one) but people from China make one that is $1 so it's not worth competing. I would not make 3D printed parts (to make another printer) as there are already a lot of these being made and the price is low.

So, can you have the printer 'earn it's keep' so to speak, yes, if you are capable and have something to print and sell.
September 29, 2014 11:41PM
tmorris9
The printer is just a tool. You can earn a living with a welder if you are good at welding, know what you can make and sell, and have an audience that is willing to pay for the items you create. 3D printers are the same. Don't assume you can just click a button and make money. You need to know what people want and have the ability to make it.

I do this, I have a product (sorry not going to give it away here) that I make and sell. It paid for my first printer ($1,700) and is paying in part for my second printer. It's a part I designed myself as I felt there was a need. Mine is better designed than anything like it. I am still struggling to find the next item I want to build and sell. I thought about making things like GoPro tripod mounts (I designed a very good one) but people from China make one that is $1 so it's not worth competing. I would not make 3D printed parts (to make another printer) as there are already a lot of these being made and the price is low.

So, can you have the printer 'earn it's keep' so to speak, yes, if you are capable and have something to print and sell.

So you think if I can think of something people want they will buy it? I didn't expect to just click and make money, I just wanted to make sure that I can recoup some cost of the printer with what it produces. I was thinking about the Folger Tech Reprap prusa i3 for a starter. I would eventually change the frame to something better like MDF or aluminum. Is this printer good enough to make quality parts? Thank you for your help.
September 30, 2014 03:57AM
I made family Christmas gifts the first year. The money I saved in doing so paid for the printer. People love customized gifts with their name on!

Andy
September 30, 2014 11:50AM
The key in selling printed parts is also to keep in mind the finish on the parts for the market you are targeting. I can leave parts plain printed for functionality or parts that won't show, or I can put custom finishes on them that I have yet to see anyone else do, depending on what the part/product will be doing. I can make anywhere from $3 to $65 on a single part with my old printer, with my new printer I should be able to break into triple digits, although the work and effort will be exponentially increased to do so. My value isn't in my 3D printer, but what I can do with it that others can't, especially but not exclusively those without a printer.
It's all about market targeting and uniqueness.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
September 30, 2014 12:43PM
There's a website out there called 3D Hubs where you could theoretically make money. I went to this free 3D info session by me that they were at and signed up for the hell of it. I've gotten some orders but some of these people have unrealistic expectations on what 3D printing can do and how long a print takes to make.
September 30, 2014 03:51PM
MrDoctorDIV
The key in selling printed parts is also to keep in mind the finish on the parts for the market you are targeting. I can leave parts plain printed for functionality or parts that won't show, or I can put custom finishes on them that I have yet to see anyone else do, depending on what the part/product will be doing. I can make anywhere from $3 to $65 on a single part with my old printer, with my new printer I should be able to break into triple digits, although the work and effort will be exponentially increased to do so. My value isn't in my 3D printer, but what I can do with it that others can't, especially but not exclusively those without a printer.
It's all about market targeting and uniqueness.

Do you think it is a realistic expectation to be able to pay for a prusa i3 with the products I can print off of it? I know it is all dependent on my creativity to design products but you seem to be well vested in making a business out of 3d printed parts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login