Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Matterslice much?

Posted by UkIan 
Matterslice much?
October 03, 2014 06:25AM
Stumbled across this after reading nophead's blog. Not sure about the metro style up, but it seems like a nice evolution. Any one heard of it or used it?
Re: Matterslice much?
October 03, 2014 02:15PM
No idea, never heard of it, apparently a new slicer.. Curious how it works though smiling smiley

I understand it's part of [www.mattercontrol.com]

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
October 03, 2014 03:19PM
Yeah, Nophead was talking about "something" on his blog, and someone in the comments mentioned they would run "it" through MatterSlice so thought I'd google it. There's not much information around about the slicer part, it's run by MatterHackers.

Might play with it later though smiling smiley
October 03, 2014 04:08PM
I've installed it on my mac, but to be honest, I didn't even try the Slicer out because the interface makes me cry.

It's obviously ported in some simple way as the usual mac menus (in the top bar) are nonexistent. There is a lot of stuff unclear, for example selecting your printer after you made the profile, apparently you have to go to 'add printer' once more to select it for the software.

Maybe the PC version is a lot better, I hope so. Will give it a try to slice and print with it tomorrow or maybe in an hour or two to see how it does, I mean, eventually the interface is just to control the program, if it brilliantly slices my difficult STL's, I might just stick with this smiling smiley (however I'm very happy with Cura a.t.m.)

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
October 03, 2014 05:05PM
Cura hasn't been a success for me, and I don't know why. I am planning to give it another go. I'm starting to get the hang of Slic3r, but I don't like the way it does support material.

I'm with you on the UI. On the PC it looks like a Metro app, very flat, not a lot of distinction between regions, plain rectangles for controls. It's not a good look imo. But you're right of course, if it makes my models come out peachy keen then I'd muddle on with it smiling smiley
October 04, 2014 12:28AM
From what I have heard the Matter program uses the Cura engine.
October 04, 2014 02:56AM
No linux version so it's a /dev/zero utilization for me.
And yes I have see too that the matterslicer use a Cura Engine fork.
October 04, 2014 08:45AM
tmorris9
From what I have heard the Matter program uses the Cura engine.

From what I have actually seen on the screen (Mac version), it offers menu choices to use CuraEngine, Slic3r, or MatterSlice as your slice engine. Never tried any of them, since I use Cura and print from SD card.....
October 04, 2014 08:54AM
Yes, it's like repetier in that you can select which slicer to use, but it's their own slicer that I'm interested in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login