Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Auto bed level probing disconnecting printer

Posted by GITRDUN 
Auto bed level probing disconnecting printer
October 08, 2014 05:21PM
I set up auto bed leveling using a servo and end stop. Everything works like a charm except everytime i probe the bed when im done the next command i give throws up a "Can't write to printer (disconnected?)" error. I have to disconnect pronterface, disconnect the USB cord and reconnect the cord and reconnect pronterface. Then everything works again until i probe the bed. Anyone experienced this problem before?
Re: Auto bed level probing disconnecting printer
October 08, 2014 09:15PM
I switched to another Ramps and Mega board and all is well. Must be something wrong on the 5v leg of the other boards.
October 11, 2014 07:25PM
Ok im back with the same problem. I set up a servo on my 2nd printer for auto bed leveling and it has the exact same problem. Every time i position the servo using the M codes it freezes. It will rotate the servo but thats it. If i run a G28 it will home X, home Y, then rotate the servo arm down and begin to home Z. But as soon as the servo arm rotates down it loses communication, it will finish homing Z on its own but clicking on "reset" while homing does nothing but give a message saying printer disconnected. I have to push the physical reset switch on the ramps board or unplug the USB cable and plug back in to get it to connect again.

This is on a different ramps and mega board than the previous one and also on a different PC.
October 12, 2014 11:26AM
Problem solved again. I switched my servo out with a higher quality one and the problem went away. I was using a cheap Towerpro 9gram servo, i switched it out with a Spektrum servo. So i guess the lesson to be learned is dont skimp on the servo for use on a reprap. Spend an extra $15 and get a good quality one.
October 13, 2014 03:21PM
Just for anyone having the same issue, and finds this post:

This is most likely because of a "brownout" of the 5 volts suplying power to the arduino.
Since there is no 5 volt regulator on the RAMPS board, all 5 volt power is supplied by the arduino's 5 volt regulator.
Drawi g too much current (with the servo) can cause the voltage to drop too much causing the arduino to reset.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login