Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

melzi v 20 board suddenly not connecting

Posted by zahmed 
Re: melzi v 20 board suddenly not connecting
October 13, 2014 07:17AM
Good find Mendel90! Glad it's working again, every one else, thanks for testing. Many thanks for the fix. I was on the right lines... I'm a bit confused about the 'fake FTDI' chip theory, as all our boards are genuine as far as I'm aware. However, if the fix of manually installing both the 'Serial Port Converter' and the 'USB Serial Port' driver works, fantastic! I'll add the following to the instructions:

If, when you plug your Melzi in, it is recognised as an 'FT232R USB UART' in 'other devices' in the Device Manager, you need to manually install the FTDI driver:
1. Download the driver from [www.ftdichip.com] and unzip/expand the folder in a sensible place on your hard drive.
2. Right-click on 'FT232R USB UART' in the Device Manager, select 'Properties', select 'Driver' tab, select 'Update Driver...'
3. Select 'Browse my computer for driver software' then 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'
4. Select 'Have Disk...' then navigate to the folder containing the files you extracted in step 1
5. Select the 'ftdibus.inf', and click 'Open', then 'OK', then 'Next'. You may get a warning about digitally signing the driver; proceed anyway.
6. The Melzi should now be recognised in 'other devices' as a 'USB Serial Port'. Select it again, and repeat the installation process above, this time selecting the 'ftdiport.inf' driver.
7. Once installed correctly, the Melzi should show up under 'Ports (COM & LPT)' as 'USB Serial Port (COM[x])', where [x] is the assigned COM port.
8. There are two parts to the driver; the second is listed under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' in the Device Manager, called 'USB Serial Converter'. You can check the driver that is installed correctly, by going to the Properties > Driver tab, and see that it's the same version as the 'USB Serial Port'.
9. You should now be able to connect with Pronterface.

Direct link to the video: [www.youtube.com]

Thanks, Ian
RepRapPro tech support
October 24, 2014 08:06PM
It seems this problem may well be related to the FTDI driver update that comes from Windows update; see: [hardware.slashdot.org]
Check if your board (Melzi/Sanguinololu) has a real or fake FTDI chip: [hackaday.com]
Still not sure how to re-enable boards that have had the misfortune to be disabled. If anyone finds any information, please post.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
October 24, 2014 08:53PM
If you have linux [www.minipwner.com] on how to unbrick

also FTDI has backed down and is removing the bricking [hackaday.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2014 08:54PM by Dust.
October 25, 2014 05:38AM
Awesome, thanks Dust!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
October 25, 2014 09:11AM
Altough I've got my Win7 running again with the Melzi, I have had no succes using the same method for my Win XP machine.

For that reason I have spended alot of time installing Ubuntu (next to XP) but still haven't managed to get Pronterface running. Luckily there is now an solution for Linux to install the drivers otherwise this would've been a big waste of time!
(in case I get Pronterface running on Ubuntu that is smiling smiley

Creality CR10/X Dual color/material
Creality CR10S
Ender3 Pro
Photon
Mendel90 (decommissioned)
Mamorubot Jupiter CoreXY
November 03, 2014 05:26AM
A customer writes:

Hi, now it seems to be worked out, the steps:
- dl the "CDM v2.12.00 WHQL Certified" driver,
- uninstall all previous drivers,
- install the USB-Serial Converter driver
- install the USB-Serial Port driver.
in that specific order, otherwise i would get access denied.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
November 14, 2014 01:43PM
Thnx to the link Dust gave I could reflash the chip in Ubuntu.
Now it works again for WinXP as well!

Creality CR10S
Ender3 Pro
Photon
Mamorubot Jupiter CoreXY
March 24, 2015 02:58AM
Hi

I Have tried to install the driver several times and resart my coumputer several times. Still thee melzi is not showing up under 'Ports (COM & LPT)'

Is there another fix?
March 24, 2015 03:19PM
Hi,

Your chip could be bricked.
All I know is you could unbrick with Linux following the link Dust has provided and the re-install the drivers with manual method described above.

Creality CR10S
Ender3 Pro
Photon
Mamorubot Jupiter CoreXY
December 03, 2018 09:04AM
Hi guys,
Had the same problem with my Tronxy X3a.
I got in touch with the manufacturer, who promptly replied with an attachment containing a link to the driver:- [sparks.gogo.co.nz]
although I used this one :-
[chickbot.club]
Worked right away and all the features are operative.
either way, the driver you need is CH340

Hope this helps, certainly fixed my problem
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login