Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PEI as bed material

Posted by tmorris9 
PEI as bed material
October 21, 2014 05:21AM
I read somewhere that this pei plastic was the ultimate bed material that requires no goop, slurry, hairspray or glue to print ABS. It's available in many thicknesses and what I read was a little vague as to what was best.

So, I bought some 1/16" thick and have been playing a little. It takes a little learning but I have had some pretty good luck on the 20+ prints I have done so far. My piece flexes a little too much so I think if I decide to keep using it I would get a thicker piece. My question is are many people using it? And if so what thickness is considered optimal between not flexing and taking too long to heat up? I got the "natural" that is clear amber but I see there is also a glass filled version (looks like bakelite). Which is best?

Thanks!
Re: PEI as bed material
October 21, 2014 05:49AM
I think getting a thicker one from amazon and attaching it firmly to your printbed will do the trick. Am still waiting till I can buy it myself as I have no credit card so I can't use amazon... But I've seen it around a lot lately. I found one webshop that used to sell it, but they trimmed off the corners, something I hate, as I want the full surface because I need the corners to connect the plate to my printbed.

Where did you order it?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
October 21, 2014 10:41AM
I have one from Reprap discount. I'm guessing the trimmed corners are to accomodate bed mounting screws. It also has a glossy side and a textured side which I like. Sometimes I like a matte finish on the bottom of the print rather than shiny. I still have to use hairspray, but not as much. I can still get warping with PLA in some instances, and for ABS it seems to be equivalent to glass. The flexibility is a bit of a problem with just binder clips on the edges. It would work better with something to stick it down acoss the whole surface of the plate.
October 21, 2014 11:05AM
Have you tried printing PLA without heat?

Right now I'm printing on purple glue sticks and an unheated bed and I rarely have problems with warping and sticking. If I do, it's a simple reapplication of glue.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
October 21, 2014 12:03PM
IanJohnson
I have one from Reprap discount. I'm guessing the trimmed corners are to accomodate bed mounting screws. It also has a glossy side and a textured side which I like. Sometimes I like a matte finish on the bottom of the print rather than shiny. I still have to use hairspray, but not as much. I can still get warping with PLA in some instances, and for ABS it seems to be equivalent to glass. The flexibility is a bit of a problem with just binder clips on the edges. It would work better with something to stick it down acoss the whole surface of the plate.

Exactly, those corners is what I need to be able to put it on my print bed! winking smiley It's exactly where I mount the top surface for printing haha. But I see that they don't sell it anymore anyway..

October 21, 2014 04:15PM
I got mine off ebay from Zoro Tools.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2014 04:15PM by tmorris9.
October 21, 2014 05:55PM
tmorris9
I got mine off ebay from Zoro Tools.

Too bad, they don't ship to the Netherlands. I guess I'm being excluded by the world once again winking smiley

October 21, 2014 09:23PM
I have ordered some from Amazon. Reading in another thread people are gluing the thin sheets to glass with tapes or high temp silicone. I believe PEI does not conduct heat well so thicker pieces might not work well; but that is conjecture since I haven't tried yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login