Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how to use MakerBot Electronics with Stepper Extruder?

Posted by jmil 
how to use MakerBot Electronics with Stepper Extruder?
April 13, 2010 08:03PM
Hi,

How can I use MakerBot Electronics with a stepper extruder? I've connected a stepper extruder to the Extruder Controller v2.2, and uploaded firmware where I've edited the Configuration.h file to call for a stepper motor rather than a PWM motor. However, ReplicatorG does not change and is unable to make a stepper turn.

All those using Wade's geared NEMA17 to run their Mendel -- please help! How do you do that??

thank you.
Re: how to use MakerBot Electronics with Stepper Extruder?
June 01, 2010 02:35AM
Hi,
I have the same problem, everything is working except for the extruder stepper motor
June 01, 2010 02:41AM
June 06, 2010 06:25AM
I found this thread extremely helpful in editing the machine profiles included in replicatorG for a stepper driven extruder;

[forums.reprap.org]

Notably Gkaindl's excerpt of the machines.xml file and his explanation of what that does to the control panel in ReplicatorG. After implementing this mod I could run the extruder motor in tests, but strangely not in a real print. So I PM'd GKaindl and he helped me through some troubleshooting in order to signal the extruder motor from a generated GCode file.

"Your gcode probably uses the M108 command to set the speed of a normal electrical motor (specified as a PWM setting), rather than setting extruder RPM, which is the way to do it with a stepper. Look for lines like "M108 S255": If you find any, change them to "M108 R4.0", which will set the extruder speed to 4 rounds/minute - it will not yet start the extruder, but set the speed - starting/stopping/reversing the extruder uses the same M-code for stepper based extruder, so once you change this one command, it should work.

by the way, 4rpm is what I'm running my extruder at, but you might want to go a bit slower if your hot-end can't handle it (if you often strip the filament, that is). Of course, you need to properly configure all the other settings in Skeinforge to match this flowrate, but this is best be done by doing a couple of test prints and tweaking the settings until you are satisfied."

After this, the extruder ran fine for me. If it works for you guys I say, we owe Wade and Gkaindl a round on us. smileys with beer
June 06, 2010 11:48PM
Correction on this information after visiting the ReplicatorG reference page for MCodes, M108 Sxxx should be replaced with M108 Pxxx.

[replicat.org]

I had to rebuild my extruder and ran some tests today, and beyond being able to extrude plastic, I haven't had any luck with extruding during a print. Tomorrow I'll try 5D firmware and code from the Reprap host. But I still believe that there is some editing to be done to files included in the firmware.
July 14, 2010 05:42PM
sorry wrong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2010 05:43PM by Stoffel15.

Mfg
Wolfgang
Aller Anfang war schwer - Wolfstrap Reprap-fab.org Meine Meinung

Erfahrungen kann man leider schlecht weiter geben, die muss man selber machen.
July 15, 2010 12:12AM
So did you end up getting it running successfully guys?
September 25, 2010 12:17PM
There is a new beta firmware out with ReplicatorG0019 that "includes" stepper support. I've since had more luck with printing good rafts and found more good advice on this wiki entry,

[wiki.makerbot.com]

Big points would be that there needs to be an initial line of M108 S255 in the gcode for setting the duty cycle, and that if I may self correct, it IS "R" instead of "P" is setting the RPM for the stepper motor
It goes through several different ways to get a stepper motor running with an extruder. I've found good progress here and am considering going the way of Pololu drivers, for both a cost benefit and efficiency since some things on the Makerbot electronics (especially the extruder board) will never be fully used IMHO.

Wolfgang, instead of simply stating something is wrong, can you please be more constructive? It looks like you've been using a stepper motor for your Wade's, so maybe a little insight to help along your fellows Reprapper's worldwide would be nice. Love the Wolfstrap though, very aesthetic in the chunky wood sort of way my dad has always adapted in his projects.
January 10, 2013 04:02AM
FrankNeon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found this thread extremely helpful in editing
> the machine profiles included in replicatorG for a
> stepper driven extruder;
>
> [forums.reprap.org]
>
> Notably Gkaindl's excerpt of the machines.xml file
> and his explanation of what that does to the
> control panel in ReplicatorG. After implementing
> this mod I could run the extruder motor in tests,
> but strangely not in a real print. So I PM'd
> GKaindl and he helped me through some
> troubleshooting in order to signal the extruder
> motor from a generated GCode file.
>
> "Your gcode probably uses the M108 command to set
> the speed of a normal electrical motor (specified
> as a PWM setting), rather than setting extruder
> RPM, which is the way to do it with a stepper.
> Look for lines like "M108 S255": If you find any,
> change them to "M108 R4.0", which will set the
> extruder speed to 4 rounds/minute - it will not
> yet start the extruder, but set the speed -
> starting/stopping/reversing the extruder uses the
> same M-code for stepper based extruder, so once
> you change this one command, it should work.
>
> by the way, 4rpm is what I'm running my extruder
> at, but you might want to go a bit slower if your
> hot-end can't handle it (if you often strip the
> filament, that is). Of course, you need to
> properly configure all the other settings in
> Skeinforge to match this flowrate, but this is
> best be done by doing a couple of test prints and
> tweaking the settings until you are satisfied."
>
> After this, the extruder ran fine for me. If it
> works for you guys I say, we owe Wade and Gkaindl
> a round on us. smileys with beer
January 10, 2013 04:05AM
HAS ANYONE TRIED CHANGIN THE R4 INTO R1, I AM GETTING WAY TOO MUCH PLASTIC AND THIINK OMETIMS IS BETTER TO CHANGE THE CODE MANUALLY.
THANKS!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login