Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D printing terrain

Posted by calad 
3D printing terrain
October 29, 2014 05:25AM
Hi. I would like discuss of 3d printing terrain.

Is it possible to 3D print terrain with or without buildings? If it is then what softwares do you use and how?

I have my own 3d-printer so I can do it myself. Intrested to know if tools exist for it.
Re: 3D printing terrain
October 29, 2014 06:20AM
I know that from SketchUp you can 'add terrain'. After choosing your area you can toggle terrain and explode the terrain relief into polygons.

Never did it myself since I live in the Netherlands and everything here is flat.

Also, in the Netherlands there is data available of the heights of houses, it will be presented in the shape of 'point cloud data' and grayscale height maps. From what I understood, combining the two into a relief generator, you can generate height maps of the streets with houses in it. But I've tried doing this on countless occasions and never had any luck.

These are the Dutch sites, sadly, not in English:
[www.pdok.nl]
[www.ahn.nl]

Small addon, I've discovered just a minute ago a programm called 'ArcGIS' (costs 100$ a year for a license) with which you can generate maps. Over here, the PDOK.nl website offers a plugin and with it you can generate all kinds of maps because it combines data from the roof-height registers, and terrain height etc. You can choose what kind of data you want displayed.

I'm not entirely sure but I think ArcGIS from ESRI is the software you might need. They have a free 'explorer' available too. At least, I've just downloaded it for the Mac here:
[itunes.apple.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 07:07AM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
October 29, 2014 03:30PM
Blender had a plugin for city generation [www.youtube.com]
There are another plugin that create roads, streets intersections, trees on the sidewalks and so on... but I don't remember plugin name, sorry.

If you have a grayscale heightmap, Blender again winking smiley [www.youtube.com]

I don't suggest to create house with heightmap, it's difficult to controle roof, doors (if not imposible), it's easy to create differents objects.
Vjk
October 29, 2014 04:22PM
An alternative to ArcGIS is QGIS. It is open source and works quite well. We use it at my workplace to generate maps and diagrams for various projects.

Link here: QGIS.org.

I don't have access to the tutorial stuff at the moment, but google may offer some help.

Cheers,
October 29, 2014 04:48PM
Vjk
An alternative to ArcGIS is QGIS. It is open source and works quite well. We use it at my workplace to generate maps and diagrams for various projects.

I don't have access to the tutorial stuff at the moment, but google may offer some help.

Cheers,

Waow, thanks Vjk, this is exactly what I needed!!! Man, I can't wait to get started smiling smiley

October 30, 2014 12:50PM
There's a few links on thingiverse about extracting terrain from NASA satellite data, and creating an stl, using ACCUtrans, eg: [www.thingiverse.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
October 31, 2014 12:15PM
Thanks for answers! I will look them at next week!
October 31, 2014 01:01PM
calad
Thanks for answers! I will look them at next week!

Yes, there is a lot in here. I'm very happy with the advice from Vjk about QGIS and it is very fortunate that you, calad, and me are both looking for the same thing at the same time smiling smiley

I am trying to get the 'BAG' maps working. They are the maps that also show the houses, but sadly for my city the houses haven't been integrated well enough yet. Luckily, in the meantime, I've been able to play with the Kinect I got last week.

Good luck, there are a lot of nice articles to be found about QGIS too! smiling smiley (and it's also cross-platform!!)

Vjk
October 31, 2014 08:00PM
Ohmarinus
Vjk

Cheers,

Waow, thanks Vjk, this is exactly what I needed!!! Man, I can't wait to get started smiling smiley

No problem and good luck. I hope it all works out like you intended.
November 09, 2014 05:08AM
Vjk
Ohmarinus
Vjk

Cheers,

Hi. I dont want to rant of this but QGIS was extreamly confusing and after two hours of working with it I still had no idea what Im doing.

So I researched more and found out you can simply export google earth into sketchsup and print it. It is really as easy as using paint so your gramma can even do it! Im a bit exited how cool this is and I will post more later.
November 09, 2014 05:20AM
calad
Vjk
Ohmarinus
Vjk

Cheers,

Hi. I dont want to rant of this but QGIS was extreamly confusing and after two hours of working with it I still had no idea what Im doing.

So I researched more and found out you can simply export google earth into sketchsup and print it. It is really as easy as using paint so your gramma can even do it! Im a bit exited how cool this is and I will post more later.

I'm a bit disappointed as I had already told you in my first reply that you can do that with SketchUp...

November 10, 2014 02:30AM
Ohmarinus
calad
Vjk
Ohmarinus
Vjk

Cheers,

I'm a bit disappointed as I had already told you in my first reply that you can do that with SketchUp...
Well you also said you never did it nor you explained how it works so it was very low on my check up list.
November 10, 2014 06:19AM
calad
Ohmarinus
Well you also said you never did it nor you explained how it works so it was very low on my check up list.

Look, I'm not angry, it's okay. But I did explain exactly how it works:
"I know that from SketchUp you can 'add terrain'. After choosing your area you can toggle terrain and explode the terrain relief into polygons."

I did try it and it worked, however I had no use for it as my country is flat.

If you would put more time and effort in QGIS, you will notice that it can be a very good program to work with. I advise you to looking into it again. I followed the tutorials from their website and it was pretty straightforward. QGIS is a marvelous program smiling smiley

November 11, 2014 11:23AM
Ohmarinus
calad
Ohmarinus

"I know that from SketchUp you can 'add terrain'. After choosing your area you can toggle terrain and explode the terrain relief into polygons."

If you would put more time and effort in QGIS, you will notice that it can be a very good program to work with. I advise you to looking into it again. I followed the tutorials from their website and it was pretty straightforward. QGIS is a marvelous program smiling smiley
I dont try to fight with you sketchup does satisfy my current needs and it is very easy to use. Do you know if it is possible copy also buildings from google earth? I dont mean special buildings but every 3d modelled building on selected area. Many cities like Amsterdam are complitely 3d modelled so it would be extreamly cool to be able to copy and print entire cities.
November 11, 2014 01:04PM
calad
Ohmarinus
calad
Ohmarinus

I dont try to fight with you sketchup does satisfy my current needs and it is very easy to use. Do you know if it is possible copy also buildings from google earth? I dont mean special buildings but every 3d modelled building on selected area. Many cities like Amsterdam are complitely 3d modelled so it would be extreamly cool to be able to copy and print entire cities.

Hey, that's strange, when I view Amsterdam I don't get any building in 3D? Through what viewer are you looking?

With the QGIS you can get the 'BAG' maps for Amsterdam through the 'PDOK' plugin, but I am not sure how it works through Sketchup..

Here is a bit of info an working with terrain in SketchUp, but it's quite a big process:
[sketchup-ur-space.com]

I couldn't find a guide for getting the buildings from Google sad enough. Maybe someone else knows? I'm curious too.

November 12, 2014 06:02AM
Ah, I meant google earth. Download it and zoom into any city, then move camera manually from bird eye view into horizontal with your mouse. Now buildings should appear. Famous landmarks are downloadable from google earth as well, forexample look Eifel Tower and click it, it should open a menu. I had some intresting links into youtube videos, I will post them later.
November 12, 2014 12:31PM
calad
Ah, I meant google earth. Download it and zoom into any city, then move camera manually from bird eye view into horizontal with your mouse. Now buildings should appear. Famous landmarks are downloadable from google earth as well, forexample look Eifel Tower and click it, it should open a menu. I had some intresting links into youtube videos, I will post them later.

Aha, I always wondered why they didn't appear. When I check manhattan the buildings appear instantly, but with Amsterdam I need to zoom in a lot and then again go into birdseye view for the buildings to appear.
I can look for a way to get the data!

November 12, 2014 12:59PM
Thanks... here are three videos related into it. I think the last one is most intresting but it is outdated so I could not imitate it.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
November 12, 2014 01:59PM
Here is a video about getting the buildings out of Google Earth. It uses a program that pulls geometry and textures from windows using DirectX, kind of like a 3D screenshot. It outputs .3DR which 3DSMax can import. There may be something else out there that can read and convert it as well.

Export buildings from Google Earth
November 12, 2014 02:37PM
IanJohnson
Here is a video about getting the buildings out of Google Earth. It uses a program that pulls geometry and textures from windows using DirectX, kind of like a 3D screenshot. It outputs .3DR which 3DSMax can import. There may be something else out there that can read and convert it as well.

Too bad this doesn't work on mac. I also found another tutorial video using 3Dvia's 3D screenshot program, but I can't find the software package anywhere, apparently it's already outdated...

November 12, 2014 02:44PM
IanJohnson

You sire deserve gold:

So to repeat: does it also capture terrain elevation?
November 12, 2014 03:18PM
It doesn't look like it does terrain, but then they were doing New York which is flat. You would probably need to use some other method and try to match them up. If you can get terrain mapped with aerial photography, use could use the texture as a reference to line up the buildings by eye. I know there are tutorials on how to get terrain from Google into Sketchup, but I've never done it. The one I tried was in the US so I downloaded terrain and photography from USGS and used QGIS and Accutrans.
November 13, 2014 05:03AM
Well getting buildings out was already a huge help. Now I think it again it would be very illogical not to include terrain elevation because google earth is not a flat map.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login