Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel Apollo

Posted by jupdyke 
Mendel Apollo
April 14, 2010 05:01PM
Has anyone made any progress with the Mendel Apollo? I am almost finished with my first Mendel and we have two more about %50 done. I was thinking about making a slightly larger one after we finish. Maybe something with a work envelope of something like 300mm x 300mm.

So has anyone got this to work?

cheers,
josh
Re: Mendel Apollo
April 16, 2010 06:06AM
Hi Josh,
i wanna scale up the design from `tonokip` for Apollo in mdf.
Therefore i have to change the rods and studs(tubes) to 12mm.
The traverses in the middle bottom and top should be of mdf 120x20xhot smiley???)
The triangles are produced by `Holzwurm`

I'm still waitin for electronics and some rp-parts.

In the meantime i play a little bit with apollo.

It's just the first idea with motor and idler outside the frame.
Now i will put inside the frame.

Best regards Erich

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 07:59AM by chris-nobody.
April 16, 2010 09:36AM
Eric, that is fascinating, are you documenting your progress anywhere? Do you have a blog or something?

Are you using custom mendel rp parts? I'd like to make an apollo myself, but as of now the documentation is pretty much nonexistent. I don't have the resources to create and one and troubleshoot it myself.
April 16, 2010 12:59PM
Hi Trevor,
most of the ideas are from tbfleming with his "Isaac" and Holzwurm in the german
forum.
Here some of the impressive works of `Holzwurm`

I wanna produce most of the parts from wood(mdf).

Erich

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2010 03:03AM by chris-nobody.
April 16, 2010 04:13PM
Chris,

You're very welcome to use the Mendel-Apollo page (or a new page) to document. You may find it to be more useful than a blog. smiling smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 16, 2010 06:06PM
Very cool. We are getting close to finishing our first Mendel, once we get the extruder working we should be good to go. Then the remaining 3 mendels should come together very quickly.

Once all that is done I plan on making a larger mendel. Like I said before I am not sure that I will go all the way to the size of the Apollo. I really just want a little more room for additional exturders and other modifications.

Your MDF triangles look really cool. I have a cnc mill and had not thought about making it that way. Also if someone wanted to try to make a heated box like the way most commercial 3d printers do you could put some lexan on the triangle and it would be sealed on two of the sides already.

Thanks for the updates guys.

Josh
April 16, 2010 09:29PM
I was surprised to see those MDF triangle pieces. They are very close to my sketches for my repstrap. By using the triangles you remove 6 printed parts from the build with two parts that should be able to be fabbed without anything anywhere near as complex as a laser cutter.

My sketches left more "meat" on the triangles by only cutting out a rectangle for the hole. I also plan on making the holes concentrically by screwing the triangles together with drywall screws, drilling the holes, and then separating the pieces.

I'm also going to attempt to use sleeve bearings like makebot rather than the sealed bearings. I clearly see the advantage to Mendel's bearing arrangement up until the point where you can't get any printed plastic parts yet.
April 17, 2010 02:47AM
Hi to All,
@ Sebastian: Thanks for the welcome.
I`m an old german mechanican and sometimes i get problems with the english language
and internet technic too.I`ve never set up a blog and therefore i will post time by time my advantage on the Mendel-Apollo page.
@ jupdyke:
my first step will also be to increase only the x-axis.
Therefore i will use 10 or 12mm rods and 10 or 12mm tubes, i have to check(-out?).
The lenghts of the axis is also not yet clear(fixed?)
On the top of the triangle should be aluminium-sheet(s) to reflect the heat and of course the electronic outside the frame.
@ pica: i wanna use one complex bottom-traverse for z-axis-base 120x20x(460)mm from
high compressed mdf to save more printed parts.(See my handy-draft)
Show a picture of your "meat", remember we are all user/developer!
@ Trevor: you are right the rp-parts are printed on a Dimension commercial printer.
Best regards from northern germany(in the middle of nowhere)
Erich

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2010 03:19AM by chris-nobody.
April 21, 2010 05:21PM
I`m an old german mechanican and sometimes i get problems with the english language
and internet technic too.I`ve never set up a blog and therefore i will post time by time my advantage on the Mendel-Apollo page.

That is ideal. (Imagine if Adrian had documented Mendel as a series of blog posts. smiling smiley )

Don't forget you can do everything in German if you like. Ich spreche kein Deutsch, aber die Wiki nicht.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
VDX
April 22, 2010 03:01AM
Hi Sebastien,

... some translations are really funny, others incorrect in essential technical terms, so we need some motivated native speakers reediting the babelfish-output spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 12, 2010 10:45AM
New inspirations by foton and arvin.
[lh4.ggpht.com]
May 17, 2010 05:08PM
My long-term goal is a Mendel Apollo. A friend is currently writing his bachelor thesis in applied polymer-technology (roughly translated) and his idea was to use printed thermoplastic parts as quick means to making precise molds for carbon-fibre reinforced polymer parts.
This of course isn't very useful with the original mendel's build envelope.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login