Advanced

Colour mixing now a reality

Posted by Xabbax 
Re: Colour mixing now a reality
November 17, 2014 01:19PM
nophead
cat.farmer
nophead
You need the secondary colours, i.e. cyan, magenta and yellow when mixing pigments that absorb and reflect light as they are subtractive. The primary colours are used for processes where the colours add.

you would also need black and white filaments for color mixing to create the proper shade.

Yes you will certainly need white as well because in 2D printing you get white by not printing anything and letting the paper show but that doesn't work in 3D. In theory cyan + magenta + yellow makes black. In practice black is used as well to save ink and get a more accurate black.

The CMY minus the K always results in a lesser black. It will never be experienced as a good black, this is just impossible. However, a lot of times a little bit of Magenta is added to blacK to make it appear a deeper black.

Xabbax, your latest test looks super! Man, this technique really has great potential. Time is all we need, I hope hotends for this tech are soon available and the software will mature fast enough to support these kinds of hotends I imagine.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
November 17, 2014 01:36PM
How does it achieve good mixing where Bath university and RichRap failed?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 18, 2014 03:22PM
nophead
How does it achieve good mixing where Bath university and RichRap failed?

I do not know if it is mixing better. The inlets are not in one plane - that may result in more swirling in the chamber where the three tubes converge.

You only learn when you change your mind.
[www.deltaprinter.co.za]
March 14, 2015 07:08PM
Xabbax, any chance I'd be able to mount this hotend on my Ormerod 1 somehow?
October 28, 2015 01:02AM
Xabbax
Ohmarinus
So, if you manage to mix two colors, do you get a new color if you are using three primary colors as base filament? That way it theoretically *should* be possible to output RGB values.
Yes you can build your own colour scheme. I used the basic red, yellow and blue(Not RGcool smiley
In the image below I started off with red then added 10% yellow and decreased the red with 10% in stages until pure yellow then did the same with blue until pure blue and then again with red until pure red.
Then printed pure yellow,red,yellow,blue, yellow and then added red and blue to the yellow in the same percentage (printing all three colours at the same time at different percentages) to the top.
[attachment 43567 colourmixing4.jpg]

Hi Xabbax, I really would like to recreate this effect with my prusa i3 printer. I cannot find any code example that shows how to use the M163 and M164 color mixing code. Can you share some gcode tips on the color mixing?
I am currently using v92 firmware and I only need to figure out how to generate the correct gcode... thx ahead
October 30, 2015 01:29AM
kurosame

Hi Xabbax, I really would like to recreate this effect with my prusa i3 printer. I cannot find any code example that shows how to use the M163 and M164 color mixing code. Can you share some gcode tips on the color mixing?

I am currently using v92 firmware and I only need to figure out how to generate the correct gcode... thx ahead

I have an example of g-code for 3 items that I printed as well as the eeprom settings for the three extruders used on my website at [deltaprinter.co.za]

You only learn when you change your mind.
[www.deltaprinter.co.za]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login