Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie overwhelmed by software choices, which one to choose?

Posted by scubaguy 
Newbie overwhelmed by software choices, which one to choose?
November 04, 2014 12:37PM
I'm building my first reprap. Its almost done mechanically, so I will need to install the software to setup/calibrate/run it. I've read the great section in the wiki [reprap.org] but the number of choices are somewhat overwhelming.

host+slicers like Repsnapper, Reprap host, or ReplicatorG. Individual hosts like Pronterface and the others, combined with one of the many slicers.

Can anyone comment on what your favorite is, or which will be best for a newbie to start with? My preferred OS is windows, but can use linux as well if there is a better software package for it.
Re: Newbie overwhelmed by software choices, which one to choose?
November 04, 2014 12:49PM
My personal choice would be Repetier host as the host software. This includes a choice of slicers including Cura and Slic3r. For the firmware I use Repetier firmware although I haven't tried any others.

I won't reccommend a CAD package as I use Turbocad - which I have never met a fan of but I like as I have used it for many years.

Only additional software you will need is Netfabb Basic for repairing STLs as most CAD packages output files that slicers don't like.

Mike
November 04, 2014 12:52PM
Marlin for your firmware
Pronterface for your host
Skeinforge or Slic3r for your slicing

Those are my preferences. What you may prefer may differ. Any of them should be able to get you started for basic calibration, so I'd actually try out a few of them and see which one you like the most. Only after you get your feet wet and understand what's happening can you judge which works best for you.
November 04, 2014 02:18PM
I love to use:

In the beginning when testdriving -> Pronterface
Why? Because I can easily find out what's wrong with my new printer when I am just starting up to calibrate and set everything ready.

Then, when starting to print and to learn the correct settings -> Repetier Host with the Slic3r from inside Repetier
Why? Because Slic3r allows me to quickly change settings and Repetier Host allows me to quickly apply the settings.

After this I make my printer standalone when I have found the correct settings with an SD-card and controller. In this setup and after getting to 'know' my machine, I prefer to use Cura most of the time. Cura gives me best and most logical slicing patterns and is a fast slicer. Slic3r hangs a lot on specific files even after 'fixing' and Repetier Host somehow doesn't have a button that directly puts the generated G-Code on the SD-card. Cura does have this option and recognizes it when the SD-card is connected to my laptop.

Right now my printer is completely calibrated, my software is calibrated and it just runs.

After all the trouble I use:
  • Rhinoceros on Mac (free beta version) for sketching and designing parts
  • Cura to slice and send to SD-card
  • Standalone SD-Controller with an LCD and a knob to print

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
November 04, 2014 03:55PM
Pronterface is easy. Skeinforge and Slic3r for slicing - some prints work better with one, some the other.
Openscad for design is easy to use for mechanical parts but maybe not for artwork.
November 04, 2014 04:25PM
best suggestion message by Ohmarinus I recommend it.

Slic3r is a bit complex when you are a Newbie but hey, google for slic3r profiles or configuration files, there are a lot of them out there.

The main problem when you are starting is that you don't know if something went wrong because your Slic3r settings or your hardware. In my case was by slicer wrong settings most times .
November 04, 2014 04:27PM
I started out using Slic3r and Pronterface combo, was not a bad way to go imo
November 04, 2014 04:33PM
Free:

I'd recommend Repetier as it has all the bits of pronterface, and can use all the slicers.

For slicers I started with Slic3r but moved to Cura slicer. Both have issues imo. If you install Repetier it handles both *Warning* both Pronterface and Repetier are rubbish at applying changed settings. If you change a setting in the slicer, sometimes you have to either restart the program or for repetier, select a different slicer and switch back for it to pick up your changes.

For design, seriously consider OpenScad if you are designing parts for the printer. I avoided it for ages even though I'm a programmer. I rarely use anything else now. I have Blender and Sketch Up installed as well.

Paid for:
Simplify 3D is my new darling sofware. It's similar to repetier, but uses its own slicer. I can't say exactly why it is better, I've only been using it a day, but the prints speak for themselves. The way it handles support material is excellent.

Honourable mention:
NetFabb basic. Has a model repair function which is useful, or you can use the same function online. I don't recommend the paid for version of NetFabb, but I don't need any of the functions it has at the price they charge.
November 05, 2014 12:08AM
I'm a fan of Pronterface myself, with Slic3r for slicing. At first I did not like the two pieces of software operating separately, having become so used to ReplicatorG (for my Makerbots). It was well worth getting used to them. They both have nice configuration options for beginner and advanced users but nothing overwhelming.
November 05, 2014 10:26PM
Marlin firmware, pronterface host, cura slicer. That setup works great for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login